R.A.F. what might have been.

Jim410

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Can anyone remember an article published in an R.A.F. Yearbook in the early to mid ‘70s, this article was so controversial that they, apparently, ended up recalling unsold issues, it covered what the R.A.F. might have had in service if the various British Governments of the day had had their heads screwed on right. I believe this article was later turned into a book titled, either, “Project Cancelled” or “Wings Clipped and Cancelled”.

This 1986 edition is the copy you need.It added a lot of material to the original including the RAF Review article but without the two coloured illustrations above.

I think this may be the text of the article that was left out of the original edition of Project Cancelled. I used to have the newer version of the book which contained the text left out of the earlier edition.

Attachments

• Cancelled Project Scenario.pdf
    80.1 KB · Views: 40
Here's the 1976 article, "Wings Clipped and Cancelled"

"Project Cancelled" is Derek Wood's book, it was a seminal text of its time but is largely surpassed by more modern books. The 1986 Janes version is the one to buy, it added extra information to the 1977 original.

Attachments

• Pages from Royal Air Force Yearbook 1976_Page_1.jpg
    Pages from Royal Air Force Yearbook 1976_Page_1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • Pages from Royal Air Force Yearbook 1976_Page_2.jpg
    Pages from Royal Air Force Yearbook 1976_Page_2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • Pages from Royal Air Force Yearbook 1976_Page_3.jpg
    Pages from Royal Air Force Yearbook 1976_Page_3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
  • Pages from Royal Air Force Yearbook 1976_Page_4.jpg
    Pages from Royal Air Force Yearbook 1976_Page_4.jpg