Question About Some Blackburn Projects

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

Can I ask about drawing to Blackburn M5/28 Torpedo Ship Plane ?.

Contact BAe Systems Heritage and request a copy of drawing ME1251 (archive reference B3883). This is a side view and appears to be the only drawing they hold for this project.

Thank you my dear Schneiderman,

and can I ask about Blackburn F.34/35 two-seat fighter ?.

The British Aircraft Specifications File by K J Meekcoms and E B Morgan, Air Britain 1994, describes a Blackburn design which may have been to specification F.34/35 for
"a two-seat turret fighter, based on the Skua and powered by a Merlin C. Drawings dated 17/4/35 depict a machine differing only in detail from the Roc. Span 44 ft, length 30 ft 4.5 in, height 10 ft 6 in."
Again, may have been.

Imagine a Blackburn Roc with a R-R Merlin C instead of a Bristol Perseus radial.

Gloster worked on a turret fighter of their own, with fixed armament in the nose, to F.34/35 - that ended when the Boulton-Paul Defiant was built to F.9/35. I presume that was also the end for the 'Merlin-Roc'.
Specification F.34/35 was replaced by F.9/37, which led to the Gloster G.39.

It might not have been catalogued under F.34/35.
Searching for Blackburn Roc in the Archive might help. Then again, maybe not.

It might not have been catalogued under F.34/35.
Searching for Blackburn Roc in the Archive might help. Then again, maybe not.
Of course. But then broadening the search using two seat,twin-engine, fighter, turret and so on also turns up nothing relevant

Last edited:
The British Aircraft Specifications File by K J Meekcoms and E B Morgan, Air Britain 1994, describes a Blackburn design which may have been to specification F.34/35 for
"a two-seat turret fighter, based on the Skua and powered by a Merlin C. Drawings dated 17/4/35 depict a machine differing only in detail from the Roc. Span 44 ft, length 30 ft 4.5 in, height 10 ft 6 in."
Again, may have been.

Imagine a Blackburn Roc with a R-R Merlin C instead of a Bristol Perseus radial.

Gloster worked on a turret fighter of their own, with fixed armament in the nose, to F.34/35 - that ended when the Boulton-Paul Defiant was built to F.9/35. I presume that was also the end for the 'Merlin-Roc'.
Specification F.34/35 was replaced by F.9/37, which led to the Gloster G.39.
That has been copied, incorrectly, from Jackson's Blackburn Aircraft since 1909. There, it says
"a two-seat turret fighter to Specification A.39/34, based on the Skua and powered by ......... Merlin C........ drawings dated 17/4/35......... depict a machine differing only in detail from the Roc.............. Span 44 ft, length 30 ft 4.5 in, height 10 ft 6 in." It is also illustrated in that book

Oh, I should have added that A.39/34 was for an Army Cooperation aircraft (Lysander) so Jackson was wrong, but a 3-view of the project is in the Putnam book.

Last edited:
@Schneiderman Well done! I have a revised edition of Jackson's book, I simply took the Specifications File because it offered an easier search for F.34/35.

@Schneiderman Well done! I have a revised edition of Jackson's book, I simply took the Specifications File because it offered an easier search for F.34/35.
This thread has be very useful in pointing out the possible problems in the Putnam and archive. I have a nice helpful contact in the BAe Systems archive and we will look into it and let you know what we find.

3-view of Merlin-engined Blackburn turret fighter from Blackburn Aircraft since 1908 by A J Jackson, Putnam 1989.
Which Jackson described as "...which differed only in detail from the Roc."..........................erm, apart from the wings,...... oh, and the tailplane, fin & rudder, ......um, also the fuselage and don't forget the cockpit too. Mere details, I guess.

The Roc's folding wings, the retractable fairings in front of and behind the turret, all notably absent from the older 3-view.
Roc 3-view from Jackson.

Attachments

• Blackburn Roc.jpg
    Blackburn Roc.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Blackburn Roc 3-view.jpg
    Blackburn Roc 3-view.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
3-view of Merlin-engined Blackburn turret fighter from Blackburn Aircraft since 1908 by A J Jackson, Putnam 1989.

Thank you my dear Arjen,

and of course I have this book,but I was asking about more Info about it.

From Putnam's book also.

Attachments

• 20.png
    20.png
    240.6 KB · Views: 41
OK, the drawings in the BAe Systems archive have been checked and the project was indeed designed to meet A.39/34

Judging by the louvers, it’s’ radiators are installed in the wing root fairings/fillets.