Question about SNCAM M.520-T,M-540 & M-560 Projects

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

can any body give me a more Info about those Projects ?,I know only the M-520-T and
M-540 were developed from Dewoitine D.520,but no details about M-560 ?.

Translations from Polish website:http://www.samolotypolskie.pl/samoloty/825/126/Dewoitine-D-520

In the autumn of 1940, the SNCAM unions began work on another fighter aircraft, which was designated M-540 (HS 12Z engine, 687 km / h). This aircraft has used a wide range of solutions prepared for the D-551. In February 1942, work was stopped in favor of a more conventional D-520Z fighter.

M-540 - 6 machine guns,

Hi,

From the books Le Dewoitine 520 and Les avions Dewoitine (Danel-Cuny, Docavia/Larivière, N°4 and 17),

-D.560 (surely more M.560, because at this time SNCAM was the builder) was the name of two D.551 used by SNCAM for the German Armistice Commission. To continue the studies on the D.551, SNCAM said that it had built two "racers" D.560 (in fact the two first finished D.551 but without military Equipment) and asked that these planes fly. In January 1941, just before the first flight, the German Armistice Commission knew the truth (because of denouncements) and forbade the take off.

-M.540 was the first name of the M.520 T. The name M.520 T was then used to convince the German Armistice Commission that this plane was only a minor development project from the D.520. But, in fact, the M.540/M.520 T was a derivative of the D.551. The study began in autumn 1940, but was interrupted in summer 1942 (because of the studies of the less expansive D.520 Z, that could be applied to the already built D.520s too) and was finally stopped after the Libération of France.
It was planned :
-engine : HS 12 Z 89 ter with 1250 HP (8 500 m)
-max speed : 687 km/h (8 500 m)
-empty weight : 2295.5 kg
-max weight : 3227.5 kg
-Wingspan : 10.646 m
-Length : around 9.43 m

Also in the same time,

we can consider D.600 originally called M-600,but need to confirm ?.

AFAIK, there is no M.600.

Because of the nationalisations Dewoitine lost its factories for the SNCAM. When Dewoitine began to study the plane (at the beginning of 1942) it was a private study. That is why it can be named only D.600 (its other name, HS-50, is because Hispano-Suiza was a spanish and french society and because the studies of the plane were ordered and paid by the spanish part of Hispano-Suiza).

Yes my dear Deltafan,

I check from this,the company was absorbed in 1941.

Not exactly,

It's very difficult for me in English (and even in French...). I try to explain :

-1920-1927 : the name of the society of Dewoitine is : Constructions aéronautiques Emile Dewoitine (CAED), then Constructions aéronautiques Dewoitine (CAD)
-January 1927 : Bankruptcy of the society
-March 1928 : creating of a new society by Dewoitine : Société aéronautique française (SAF)
-February 1937 : Nationalisation of SAF. The society is no more property of Dewoitine.
-March 1937 : SAF becomes SNCAM. But Dewoitine stays in the SNCAM as "Directeur technique" (Technical Director ?) and "Administrateur délégué" (Delegated Administrator ?).
-December 1940 : SNCAM is absorbed in the SNCASE. Dewoitine leaves the Company and is no more involved in new designs from the SNCASE.
But in fact, the historians named sometimes the planes with two or three désignations : D., M. or SE... Sometimes too a project from Dewoitine began as D, continued as M and finished as SE. And it's difficult to know exactly what was the good name of each plane at each period...

And...

-in 1938 Dewoitine created too another own company : SIPA, Société industrielle pour l'Aéronautique.

And...

-he worked too as private designer after the nationalisation of SAF, and especially after December 1940. In that case the designation is D. For example, the D.600/HS-50, that cannot be designated M or SE.

Many thanks to you my dear Deltafan,

and we can add a very or short associated with LeO.