Projected kittens for the Sdkfz 234 Puma ?

JC Carbonel

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I am much surprised that for this most advanced vehicle, often regarded as one of the best armoured vehicles of WW2, I find no projected derivative.
All variants I know were all built

Sdkfz 234/1 (20mm in six-sided turret)
Sdkfz 234/2 (50mm in round turret)
Sdkfz 234/3 (75mm short barrel support vehicle)
Sdkfz 234/4 (75mm long barrel AT vehicle)
Sdkfz 234 (no sub-version) (20mm on pedestal mount)
Sdkfz 232 NA (shorter version, four-wheeled)

Seems to me that Flak (Kugelblitz turret) , PAW AT-Gun , Fla-R (Fohn cannisters) would be natural ?

So why nothing ? (or is it that I searched badly?)

JCC

Here are the ones I am aware of:
SdKfz 234/1 Hanglafette Turret (built)
SdKfz 234/1 A/A, 37mm (project)
SdKfz 234/2 Flak 38, 20mm (project)
SdKfz 234/2 “Puma” (built)
SdKfz 234/3 L/24, 75mm “Stummel” (built)
SdKfz 234/4 Pak 40, 75mm (built)
SdKfz 234/4 AK7B, 75mm (project)
SdKfz 234/- w/ Schweblefette 20mm (built)
SdKfz 234/- w/ “Luchs” turret (field modified)

It would be interesting to see the "Fohn" set in there or a drilling. Not sure the "Kugelblitz" turret would have enough room or if the chassis could handle the weight of it and the generator to rotate it)

-Tony

Thank you . some of these I am not aware of . Especially the one with a Luchs turret ????

Any pix ?

JCC

The photo of the SdKfz 234 with "Luchs" turret is in the PanzerWrecks book volume 2. I don't have it scanned in the comp, but here are 2 photos of the Schwebelafette 234 for you.
-Tony

Attachments

• 234SchwebeFront.jpg
    234SchwebeFront.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 279
  • sdkfz251.20mmflakschwebelafette03.jpg
    sdkfz251.20mmflakschwebelafette03.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 279
I had not my books on hand when I wrote this so I "created" this description. It is a replacement for the Sdkfz 222 (hence the NA for Neu Art) but using 234 parts. I'll check later the correct designation

JCC

In various sources the four-wheeled armoured car is being reffered to as 'leichter Panzerspähwagen für Tropen' or 'leichter Panzerspähwagen 4 Rad Tropen', which reflects the vehicle's role as an armoured reconnaissance car for German troops in Northern Africa (perhaps "NA" in other designations stand for "North Africa" rather than "Neue Art").

Here you've got some images of the vehicle as well as what Thomas L. Jentz wrote on this in "Panzer Tracts No. 13. Panzerspaehwagen".

Best regards,
Piotr

Attachments

• PzSpWg_fur_Tropen_2.JPG
    PzSpWg_fur_Tropen_2.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 334
  • PzSpWg_fur_Tropen_1.JPG
    PzSpWg_fur_Tropen_1.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 318
  • PzSpWg_fur_Tropen_3.JPG
    PzSpWg_fur_Tropen_3.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 295
  • PzSpahwagen_Tropen_txt.jpg
    PzSpahwagen_Tropen_txt.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 167
The 4 wheeler version was made by Bussing-NAG and I have seem it on video somewhere online. It is seen crossing a railroad track. AI will have to see if I can find it again for us all.

-Tony

From W.Oswald "Kraftfahrzeuge und Panzer der Reichswehr, Wehrmacht und Bundeswehr",
a photo of the Achtrad-Panzer-Funkwagen Sd-Kfz.263 (8-wheeled armoured RT car), armed
only with a machine gun and the "Waffenwagen" (armed car, with 2cm KwK) with additional
protection against anti-tank guns at the bow.

Attachments

• Waffenwagen_Pakschutz.jpg
    Waffenwagen_Pakschutz.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 8-Rad-Panzer-Funkwagen.jpg
    8-Rad-Panzer-Funkwagen.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 137
JC Carbonel said:
Seems to me that Flak (Kugelblitz turret) , PAW AT-Gun , Fla-R (Fohn cannisters) would be natural ?

So why nothing ? (or is it that I searched badly?)

JCC

The vehicle was much too expensive (RM 53k), especially in comparison to the medium halftrack (RM 23k).
A high cost platform has difficulties to justify its employment in many roles.
Think about your SPAAG version; would it have been the equivalent of a fourth of a fighter? If not, then it would have been cost-inefficient.

SdKfz 234/4 AK7B, 75mm (project)

From 'Panzer Tracts 20-2,Aufklarungs-, Beobachtungs-, Und Flak-Panzer (Reconnaissance, Observation, and Anti-Aircraft).
A drawing of the Sd.Kfz 234/2 with the 'Aufkarerkanone 7 B 84', on page 20-79.
The following description is on page 20-76, along with the drawing of the gun and mounting :-

"A new mount was designed for the 7.5cm Kanone L/48... to convert it into the 'Aufklarerkanone 7 B 84' for installation on the... Sd.Kfz 234. The casing for the 7.5cm Kw.K. 40 was shorter and fatter then the 7.5cm Pak 40, making it easier to handle and store in the confined spaces of an armoured vehicle. It could be traversed through an arc of 40o ( 20o left/right of centre); elevation was -8 to +16o. Of the four AK 7 B 84 produced, one was modified and test fired at Kummersdorf on 18th January 1945.
As announced on 20th February, development of this gun was to be completed in April 1945."

The same drawing of the vehicle is also used on page 6 of 'Puma and other German Heavy Reconnaissance Vehicles', Horst Scheibert, Shiffer.

SdKfz 234/1 A/A, 37mm (project)

The drawing of this from page 34 of 'Puma and other German Heavy Reconnaissance Vehicles', Horst Scheibert, Shiffer. This also appears to be originally from a 'Panzer Tracts' book, but which one I don't know...

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• Sd.Kfz 234 w. 7.5cm kanone L48.png
    Sd.Kfz 234 w. 7.5cm kanone L48.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 197
  • kanone.png
    kanone.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 188
  • Sd.Kfz 234 w. 37mm AA gun.png
    Sd.Kfz 234 w. 37mm AA gun.png
    272.7 KB · Views: 198
This is a conversion I did in 1/72 scale using the Hasegawa Puma and a ModellTrans Schwebelafette mount.
-Tony

Attachments

• IMG_3016.JPG
    IMG_3016.JPG
    991 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_3018.JPG
    IMG_3018.JPG
    976 KB · Views: 168
I’d of thought that at some point, someone would try mount a mortar in a 234, either in an open topped car a la /3, or an enclosed turret, a la /2. Maybe the 81mm or 120mm. Be good to see either way.

What?
No wheeled APC?
Germany suffered infantry shortages during both world wars.