Project ICARUS: when MIT wanted to save the World....

archipeppe

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score

Attachments

• Icarus_01.jpg
    Icarus_01.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 400
  • Icarus_02.jpg
    Icarus_02.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 389
  • ICARUS mission profile.jpg
    ICARUS mission profile.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 371
  • Saturn 5-ICARUS.jpg
    Saturn 5-ICARUS.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 359
So what is the advantage of mounting the nuke across the axis? How would that affect the spacecraft control?

I need to look at a cutaway of the service module, but wasn't the center hollow? Would it have made more sense to mount the nuke in the centerline of the SM?

Nice illustrations, although I think the use of pink makes it look like Barbie's spaceship.

blackstar said:
So what is the advantage of mounting the nuke across the axis? How would that affect the spacecraft control?

I need to look at a cutaway of the service module, but wasn't the center hollow? Would it have made more sense to mount the nuke in the centerline of the SM?

Nice illustrations, although I think the use of pink makes it look like Barbie's spaceship.

i guess this configuration of nuke, is so that ground personal has access to Warhead on launch pad
or even insert the Warhead into CSM if it on Launchpad.
putting the Nuke in hollow center of SM would be to problematic for that.

and so far i know there is no place in center tube, there two helium tanks for main engine fuel tank pressurization

Yep, you're right.

Attachments

• aservice_module_cutaway_936.GIF
    aservice_module_cutaway_936.GIF
    24.7 KB · Views: 210
Dear all thanks for your appreciation and comments.

I agree about the strange positioning of the nuclear warhead but there was no way to put it axially, except to extend too much forward the ICARUS mission module with a severe variation of the CoG.

The illustration enclosed clarify the position choose by MIT people for the massive nuclear device.

Best Regards
Giuseppe

P.S. I always use false colors to highlighy all the various subsystems. even if they could look emh..... rather odd.

Attachments

• icarus4.jpg
    icarus4.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 51
P.S. I always use false colors to highlighy all the various subsystems. even if they could look emh..... rather odd.

Pink rocket is cool. Your art is excellent. Thanks for sharing it.

pometablava said:

Pink rocket is cool. Your art is excellent. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks for the commending words (as also for the comprehension....).