Website
www.themilitaryforums.com
pribor3bnordenfeltgun1xc7.jpg

pribor3bnordenfeltgun2du1.jpg

pribor3bnordenfeltgun3tf5.jpg

pribor3bnordenfeltgun4rj3.jpg

pribor3bassaultriflewk3.jpg

pribor3bnordenfeltassauce1.jpg

Man-portable nordenfelt gun of the Soviet era that apparently provided 'near minigun' performance by combining the ROF but to be suitable for a soldier to handle. It uses the 7.62x39mm round but the ammo supply was limited as the weapon is magazine fed.

The Pribor-3B assault rifle still worked but was also quite hard to control due to the recoil force, Cartridge ejection is downwards BEHIND the magazine area as the weapon uses a gas/recoil operaton similar to that used in the AN94 Abakan assault rifle currently used by Russian special forces. Another variant of the Pribor-3B was made from AKM smilar parts to ease production. The Pribor-3B would be more practical as a tripod mounted machine gun if its possible to make a belt feed device for it.

Cutaway said:
Man-portable nordenfelt gun ...

Not entirely correct, as I see it, since technically the Nordenfelt guns were manually operated.

The Spanish MEROKA naval close-in weapon system (12 barrels of 20mm caliber, in two rows of 6) uses a comparable layout, and according to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meroka_CIWS): "The term MeRoKa (from German Mehrrohrkanone, meaning multi-barrelled gun) can refer to weapons such as the Nordenfelt gun but is more commonly used referring to this naval CIWS defence system."

So "Man-portable MeRoKa gun...." would seem to be more accurate ;)

According to one comment on http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109590, the Pribor was intended as the Russian answer to the US Project Salvo. So if the idea was to increase hit probability (by firing all three barrels almost simultaneously, before recoil affects the shooter), rather than continuous rate-of-fire, the idea might have merit.

Quite apart from the nitpicking, and apart from doubts as to the Pribor's practical value, it has a seriously high Cool Factor. Just the thing for the lead henchman (henchwoman ? henchperson ?) in the next 007 movie B)

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Dept. of Nitpicking
Denmark

Timeframe for these weapons. It also appears that the gun in the lowest pic is less ornate than the one in the other pics ( no molded plastic). Was this a prototype?

Wouter

Lauge said:
Quite apart from the nitpicking, and apart from doubts as to the Pribor's practical value, it has a seriously high Cool Factor. Just the thing for the lead henchman (henchwoman ? henchperson ?) in the next 007 movie B)

It's true :). Maybe someone remember old computer FPS game from the end of 90s "Duke Nukem 3D". There was a similar 3-barrel weapon called "chaingun" as far I remember...

EDIT: I try to find quick any picture from this game with 3-barrel machinegun but I can' t (only this http://mac.softpedia.com/screenshots/9-771_1.png poor quality)

Maybe someone remember old computer FPS game from the end of 90s "Duke Nukem 3D". There was a similar 3-barrel weapon called "chaingun"

Damn!! beat me to the post! yeah, i remember that game, played it to death....

cheers,
Robin.

Speedy said:
It's true :). Maybe someone remember old computer FPS game from the end of 90s "Duke Nukem 3D". There was a similar 3-barrel weapon called "chaingun" as far I remember...

....and there we have another major nit to pick: A chaingun is a single barrel, reciprocating bolt weapon, where the bolt is externally powered via a chain (hence the name). Examples are the EX-34 in 7,62x51mm or the Bushmaster series from ATK (http://www.atk.com/customer_solutions_armamentsystems/cs_as_gs_default.asp).
NOT multi-barrel! NOT rotating! NOT jumping through hoops!

It would be nice if, just once, one of those long-haired, pseudo-hippie software developers would get it right (and don't get me started on Hollywood...) :mad:

Regards,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Dept. of Nitpicking & assorted ranting
Denmark

Stll, when where these guns designed? Google gives no info about this. The calibre would indicate that it would be before the introduction of the 5,45 x 39 cartridge in 1974. Would it be an educated guess to say mid to late 60's?