205.4 KB · Views: 824
  • Aisa I-115.jpg
    Aisa I-115.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 855
Great stuff Justo!

Too bad there wasn't a three-view of the HA-100 in the series... :-\

Kevin Renner said:
Some how the idea of a Merlin or Griffon powered 109............ :eek:
The Merlin 500 was still in production and was small enough to fit without too many ariframe changes. I doubt the Griffon would have fit....

The He 111 license production had the same problem, the lack of a suitable powerplant once Germany fell. France provided a lot of captured Jumo 211s, but these were war production engines with very low reliability and a very short service life, unsuitable to peacetime use.

The 109s would have been powered by the Hispano Suiza 12Z engine, the replacement for the 12Y series and whose production started by the fall of France. German occupation forces would not let Hispano Suiza to continue development of the engine and work proceeded in Spain. However, the dedign bugs weren't ironed out at the time and Hispono Suiza had no interest to invest on its development after the war, when piston engines were obsolescent. Also, the industrial capability of Spain at the time was very limited and the engine was troublesome and had cooling problems.

In the end, the Merlin was the "good enough" and cheapest option. In fact, the last CASA 2111 were retired in 1975.....

I imagine if a Griffin could be shoe-horned into a Spitfire where a Merlin originally was, I'm sure that it could be done on an Me 109/Ha 1112. Same theory for a couple of racing Mustangs.

famvburg said:
I imagine if a Griffin could be shoe-horned into a Spitfire where a Merlin originally was, I'm sure that it could be done on an Me 109/Ha 1112. Same theory for a couple of racing Mustangs.
Probably, but most probably shoehorning the Merlin was easier/cheaper!

Interresting the article of the hispano aviacion ha.43.
I have seen somewhere that the second seat could also be armement with a machinegun.
Who can give any details how it was fixed etc?
Thanks
Jan

Gorka L Martinez Mezo said:
famvburg said:
Probably, but most probably shoehorning the Merlin was easier/cheaper!

Remember we are talking about a ME109 airframe here; the German's themselves would surely have loved to get a larger engine into it (Jumo 213 for example, like the FW190D) if they remotely could have managed it. They couldn't do it so it's a bit harsh to label the Spanish cheapskates for going for the best engine that would actually fit.

Winter 2016's issue of Air-Britain Aeromilitaria has a piece on the Hispano HA 60 Super Saeta by Tony Buttler.

Chris

Hallo Justo

On the site Hispano Suiza Hs-42 and Ha-43 I put some time ago a picture which came from a manual which showed the mg on the observers place.
I did not received any response so I tried this page.
Jan

Justo Miranda said:
There is no room for it

The HS 42/43 seems to be (in size) comparable to the Arado Ar 96 , so ...

Attachments

• 14-2.jpg
    14-2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 53
  • arado2.jpg
    arado2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 56