Please ID these two french aircrafts

Maveric

Fight for yor Right!
Reaction score
From Flugsport an article with two french aircrafts: "Rafale" and "Zeff 2".
Mentioned in the text also "Zeff" and "Frelon".
Who knows these planes and the manufacturer? I ask for more information.

Attachments

• z-1.jpg
    z-1.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 57
Hi Maveric!
Your aircraft were all (co)designed by Jacques Calvel.
The CP-01 Zeff was basically a composite version of the all-metal Piel CP-80
Attached photo was shot by Mick Bajcar.
I have following details:
single-seat sport/racer
one 100hp Continental 0-200-A piston engine
wingspan 19.688ft; length 17.375ft; height 4.917ft
DETAILS: The CP-01 Zeff homebuilt aircraft was built by Mr. Jacques Calvel and it was basically the CP-80 design of Mr. Claude Piel, but built of composite materials . The aircraft was first flown on 23 November 1973, preceding the first true (all-metal) CP-80 and initially the CP-01 was powered by one 65hp Continental A65 engine, which was later replaced by one 100hp Continental 0-200-A and finally by one 90hp Continental C90-14F. Further modifications made to the aircraft included an improved cowling, one-piece canopy, re-contoured vertical tail and the installation of flaps. The one-of-a-kind aircraft was donated to the Aero Retro Museum.
Production: 1
F-WTXL/F-PTXL

Attachments

• Calvel-Piel CP-01 Zeff.jpg
    Calvel-Piel CP-01 Zeff.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 39
I am not sure that the Zeff 2 was ever completed. Apart from the name, she had no relationship ,with the CP-01 Zeff.

The Frelon was a single-seat ultralight/motorglider. No registration known to me. Attached a photo
I have following details:
single-seat motor glider
one 27-35hp Rockwell/JLO two-stroke piston engine
max. cruise 75 mph, cruise 56 mph, icr 690ft/minute
wingspan 34.125ft; length 17.389ft; height 5.249ft
DETAILS: The Frelon light motor glider was built by Mr. Jacques Calvel and was largely of composite material construction. The aircraft was possibly designed by Mr. Jean Grinvald and was first shown on the 1979 Paris Air Show in almost completed form. Reportedly the aircraft was first flown mid-1981, although other reports indicate that the development was halted prior to a first flight. The one-of-a-kind aircraft was fitted with one 27-35hp Rockwell/JLO engine. First flight may have been in March 1981 and possibly the aircraft was meant to be tested with 13hp and 20hp versions of McCullogh and Stihl two-stroke engines.
Production: 1

Attachments

• Calvel Frelon.jpg
    Calvel Frelon.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 25
The Rafale was, AFAIK, not flown. It was a homebuilt that could be fitted with a piston engine driving a pusher propeller or by a small turbojet engine.
I have as designer a Mr. Pierre Calvel. I have seen photo with the aircraft sporting a T-tail and also with a low-set-set tailplane. No registration known to me and no details on the planned engine(s).
wingspan 21.654ft, length 20ft, height 6.726ft

Attachments

• Calvel Rafale.jpg
    Calvel Rafale.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 27
  • Calvel Rafale photo 2.jpg
    Calvel Rafale photo 2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 30