PLAAF 6th Generation Projects

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Known since October 2021 on satellite images, this is suggested to be a (full) ? scale mockup or even a 6. generation technology demonstrator built by 611 Institute/CAC featuring a tailless diamond wing configuration.

And today this ... Just a CG or indeed the rumoured testbed?

(Image via @沉默的山羊 from Weibo)

Fmwjt6QWAAINHI-

FmwlGtzWYAArH6n

See also:

1674052153246.png

Allegedly some pictures showing a possible sixth-generation fighter captured via a video posted on AVIC's official website today. As it seems, there are more and more hints supporting the possibility of a diamond-shaped wing and tail-less fighter design.

(Images via AVIC)

PLAAF 6. generation type - AVIC - 20230131 - 1.jpg PLAAF 6. generation type - AVIC - 20230131 - 2.jpg PLAAF 6. generation type - AVIC - 20230131 - 3.jpg PLAAF 6. generation type - AVIC - 20230131 - 4.jpg

Round nozzles might be a stopgap measure before proper engines are ready. The flying wing design implies an attempt at all-aspect stealth, so eventually they need to sort things out.

What's really odd is the use of CARET intakes. I would've thought that they'd go with DSI again.

Round nozzles might be a stopgap measure before proper engines are ready. The flying wing design implies an attempt at all-aspect stealth, so eventually they need to sort things out.

What's really odd is the use of CARET intakes. I would've thought that they'd go with DSI again.

It's a generic depiction of a future manned fighter, I wouldn't read too much into the details.

If anything the details are likely deliberately misleading.

It is early days as to what the 6th generation fighter will look like, it will probably look a lot more different than the design that Deino posted above.

Latest leak confirms something we have long suspected -- a fifth generation engine (sixth generation) is under development for the Chinese sixth gen.

1679872648821.png