Pictures of the Kawasaki Z program bomber?

T-50

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Has some one artist inpressions of the Kawasaki Zbomber? it was to ment as a competitor to the
Nakajima G10N Fugaku ,
greetings T-50

T-50 ,

If you use the 'search' tool on this site you will
find all you need about the 'Z' program.
(and much more about Japanese projects)
Good luck.

There seems to be a bit of info here as well.
http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php

Yes indeed,
One have just to register and then go to
-X planes message board- and write Fugaku in the search bar
to see it's many faces....

By the way , the 'Z-program' was initiated by Nakajima.

Best Escanear thank you for the cool pics,i saw more very cool pics and teksts from your hand
keep the good work!!
best regards T-50

was Mitsubishi also involved in the Zprogram also known as 18 shi programma?
If they were have someone some info or pics of that aircraft?

Nakajima was the main force behind the entire "Project Z." Initially, both the Army and Navy rebuffed Chikuhei Nakajima's ideas. Thus, on their own, Nakajima started researching and planning such a large bomber under the "Project Z" name. Later, Chikuhei pitched the plan again to the Army and Navy and this time they listened. Of course, both services had to throw in their own designs. Keep in mind that the Army and Navy had their own engineers and developers, independent of the aircraft companies. One example was the Army's Kogiken series of aircraft designs, created "in-house" but invited outside aircraft makers to tender their own concepts. At any rate, the Fugaku project never had its own shi number and I've not seen Mitsubishi nor Kawasaki mentioned in any works on the bomber that I've read.

Kawanishi was asked by the Gunjushō (Ministry of Munitions) to design a strategic bomber since the Gunjushō felt the Fugaku would fail. Kawanishi's design was the TB which, ultimately, would get canned.

I've never come across the Fuguku or "Project Z" being referred to as a 18-shi bomber. The only known 18-shi bomber was the Nakajima G8N1. All of the other 18-shi specs were for fighters and one recon plane.

As a note, you may see G10N and G10N1 as the designation for the Nakajima Fugaku but there is no evidence to support their use whatsoever.

Cheers,

Ed

T-50 said:
was Mitsubishi also involved in the Zprogram also known as 18 shi programma?
If they were have someone some info or pics of that aircraft?

hi Ed thanks for the information,i thought that all aircraft like the Reppu or other aircraft developed after 1944 fighters and bombers were filed under the 18 shi programma.
In most books they named the Fugaku an 18shi bomber.
cheers T-50

hi did somebody knows of the Japanese were planning strategic jetbombers like Junkers did,
I know that the Japanese were developing a Flyingboat with jet engines named the Kawanishi Ki-200.
so i was curious if they allready made plans for a long range jetbomber (Fugaku with jetengines perhaps?)
regards T-50

Beginning in 1931, when the IJN issued a specification for an aircraft, a shi number was assigned to it, based on the year of the Showa Japanese calendar. For example, the Mitsubishi G7M Taizan was designed to meet the 16-Shi Attack Bomber specification. 16 stood for Showa 16, or 1941.

As such, the Fugaku was never part of any official IJN specification despite the IJN being involved and no shi number was given to it.

Cheers,

Ed

T-50 said:
hi Ed thanks for the information,i thought that all aircraft like the Reppu or other aircraft developed after 1944 fighters and bombers were filed under the 18 shi programma.
In most books they named the Fugaku an 18shi bomber.
cheers T-50

If the Japanese had any plans for a strategic jet bomber, it hasn't surfaced. The only known Japanese jet bomber was the Kūgishō Tenga and this was the adaptation of the Kūgishō P1Y Ginga to accept turbojets. It never advanced past just a concept.

As for the Kawanishi K-200, given it would have been using six VERY fuel hungry turbojets, its range would have been pitiful in comparison to the Kawanishi H8K. The Wikipedia entry on the K-200 makes the claim the K-200 was meant to carry a nuke to the U.S. but that would have been utter folly.

Cheers,

Ed

T-50 said:
hi did somebody knows of the Japanese were planning strategic jetbombers like Junkers did,
I know that the Japanese were developing a Flyingboat with jet engines named the Kawanishi Ki-200.
so i was curious if they allready made plans for a long range jetbomber (Fugaku with jetengines perhaps?)
regards T-50

" In most books they named the Fugaku an 18 Shi bomber "

Can you tell us a bit more about these books T-50 ?
(title , author(s) & publisher)

Not sure why no one queried this at the time, but looking through the posts, the title is Kawasaki Z program, but according to post 8 from Ed/Pelzig, the only other entrant to the Z bomber program apart from Nakajima with the G10N, was Kawanishi, not Kawasaki. Could we just confirm which is the competing manufacturer please?

Back
Top Bottom