Periodic Table "Table" with all the elements really cool

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Wish I had the $9,000 this would go awesome in my library room.

http://www.element-collection.com/html/coffee_table.html

But the table is already missing the two newest elements:

Two fat atoms get the nod - Super-sizing the periodic table

By Richard Chirgwin • Get more from this author

Posted in Physics, 6th June 2011 23:35 GMT

If you’re the kind of person to lay out more than US$8,000 on a periodic table coffee table, The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) has bad news for you: it’s obsolete. That’s because after deliberations lasting more than a decade, and a review process begun in 2008, the Joint Working Party on the Discovery of Elements of the IUPAC and the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP) has agreed (announcement here, full document here) to add two new elements to the periodic table. The transfermium elements, with atomic numbers 114 and 116, decay in a few minutes. Tentatively named flerovium (after Soviet physicist Georgy Flyovov) and moscovium (for Moscow Orblast), the elements start their brief existence when curium atoms are bombarded with calcium nuclei. The resulting 116 nuclei last a few milliseconds before decaying into 112 (only accepted last year, and given the name copernicium), passing through 114 for around half a second on the way through. In some experiments, 114 was created directly by bombarding plutonium atoms with calcium nuclei.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/06/atoms_114_116_recognised/
----------------------------------------------------------
On another note this is why the US needs a well funded nuclear research infrastructure because there is a lot of physics to be discovered. Is pure fusion weaponry possible? Other exotic forms of nuclear weapons? I would sleep better at night is "we" find out first.