Pegasus Pe-210

pegasus

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSmxcVcVaiE
PEGASUS-PE400T.jpg
Oaxaca Aerospace – Pegasus 1 (PE-210A) and Pegasus 2 (P-400T)

Pegasus 1 (AKA PE-210A) is the first end-to-end Mexican-made aircraft to sail the skies since the era of the biplanes. The project was started in 2011 by Oaxaca Aerospace, a 100-percent Mexican company focused on developing technology for the aeronautic industry. Two years later, Pegasus 1 began operational testing and the airplane was formally introduced during FAMEX 2015.

PE-210A is a prototype designed for testing. Thus, all necessary improvements will be incorporated into Oaxaca Aerospace’s second prototype: P-400T. Both P-400T and PE-210A are fixed-wing, two-seater aircraft with a canard configuration where the horizontal stabilizer is placed in front of the wings. But while PE-210A is equipped with a 210 HP Lycoming AEIO-390 piston engine, P-400T’s powerplant is a 400 HP twin-turbocharged engine that uses jet fuel and features a backup turbine for emergencies and fast take offs. This engine enables P-400T to reach a top speed of 550km/h and an altitude of 7.3km. After being presented in FAMEX 2017, P-400T is planned to start its test protocol in 1Q18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkLrC4KcGeg

GTX said:
attractive design. What's the role?

Per the linked article

Oaxaca Aerospace’s aircraft were created with military uses in mind, so P-400T can carry out air support, aerial reconnaissance, light attack, attack coordination, maritime patrolling, aerial interception, transportation and advanced pilot training missions, but it can also be used for commercial purposes. One of its main advantages over similar aircraft is fuel-efficiency and a comparatively low cost of about US$2.5 million. Oaxaca Aerospace expects to produce at least 12 aircraft by 2019 and up to 100 by 2028.

A lot of that looks pretty speculative to me, particularly things like maritime patrol and transport, but as a light attack/COIN/FAC aircraft, it seems plausible if a bit small.

The powerplant is a bit unclear. There aren't a lot of piston aero engines running jet fuel these days, and I can't find one in that power class. Combining a piston engine with a jet seems a bit overly complicated, too. AHRLAC, which seems to be is in a similar market, needs more like 950 hp and a full on turboprop engine.

I agree Tom, but still many things are not clear, currently it is more of a technological break through '(it is for Mexico not for international standards) since we had more than 100 years building aircraft but at a very low scale, only in the 1920s we were more or less up to date, now we are many years behind so building it is mostly to gather the basics skills needed, there were rumours they wanted to build a few IA-63 Pampas in a joint venture with Argentina, Russia is trying to entice Mexico with MiG-35s they were speculating they even offered the MiGs to be assembled in Mexico, certainly the Pegasus is good looking aircraft, but performance wise well still is not the best, but from the point of view it is the first tail first aircraft build and designed in Mexico, well is a small breakthrough for us, but we are still way way behind Brazil that is our bench march to achieve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vs33SWH2JQ
The Pegasus is competing with a more standard aircraft by Horizontec, but the Horizontec Halcón H1 is more of a sport aircraft with basic training roles, but still uses modern composite construction

Early Pegaso prototype
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szxh2-vACl8

and later version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhJbC-Ix3C8

GTX said:
attractive design. What's the role?
The Mexican army is trying to get basic armament made in Mexico. The Pegasus is one of the projects, but there also this AUV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjIjQS3o9w

More Mexican drones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XlZpO5-pdQ

pegasus said:
I agree Tom, but still many things are not clear, currently it is more of a technological break through '(it is for Mexico not for international standards) since we had more than 100 years building aircraft but at a very low scale, only in the 1920s we were more or less up to date, now we are many years behind so building it is mostly to gather the basics skills needed,

As a technical achievement, it's pretty impressive. And it certainly makes sense not trying to dive into a higher performing, larger aircraft. I wish the project well. Can't wait to hear more of the technical details. I'm very curious about the powerplant for the 400T in particular.

Don't forget the money behind. There is significant investment 'as it seems). And even if some of the poor guys have for working condition the startup way (your own laptop, no TFT screen and a bench), still we can see Catia (V5R19) ans Siemens NX for the CFD. Although Siemens can be bought on a per day basis.
The quality of the design is high (many hours) and manufacturing is above average in this industry (look at the landing gear).

TomS said:
As a technical achievement, it's pretty impressive. And it certainly makes sense not trying to dive into a higher performing, larger aircraft. I wish the project well. Can't wait to hear more of the technical details. I'm very curious about the powerplant for the 400T in particular.
the information is scarce but the designers have given several interviews this April there is FAMEX 2019 airshow so probably they might display it, if I know of something new i will post it, it is a nice development but sadly we still have not built a truly jet aircraft in Mexico despite we do build fuselages and jet engine parts in Mexico for companies like Bombardier, Textron or GE, in fact the state of aerospace technology is not that low, GE and Honeywell do design some aerospace components in Mexico but still we are not building by a local company a jet, despite locally we do have all the components to build one

TomcatViP said:
Don't forget the money behind. There is significant investment 'as it seems). And even if some of the poor guys have for working condition the startup way (your own laptop, no TFT screen and a bench), still we can see Catia (V5R19) ans Siemens NX for the CFD. Although Siemens can be bought on a per day basis.
The quality of the design is high (many hours) and manufacturing is above average in this industry (look at the landing gear).
In Mexico there are a lot of aerospace companies building and designing parts but most of them are foreign companies like Textron, Bell, Airbus, Bombardier, Honeywell, the quality of the engineers is high, because these companies export those products to Europe or the USA, thus any worker has to compete with workers in those places, a Mexican engineer is paid to do a job in quality as high or even higher than their counterparts in Europe or the USA but at much lower costs, however these companies do not have all the manufacturing cycle in Mexico, so while we build many parts, the whole product is put together and manufactured in Canada, the USA or Europe, but these days many fuselages or jet engine parts are build in Mexico, so the Pegasus has engineers that previously did work in other companies and have some experience in advanced manufacturing, for example the Learjet 85 fuselage was built in Mexico before it was cancelled, and even some AH-64 fuselages were built in Mexico, so there are competent engineers in the country.

The Pe-210 has a landing gear built and designed in Mexico, it is not something random, in Mexico several aerospace giants built landing gear parts for aircraft in Mexico so the engineers of Oaxaca Aerospace have plenty of support to design and built parts.

latest prototype

Second prototype

First prototype

Last edited:
So three prototypes, with two currently flying?
up to what i know there are two flying prototypes and the third one will fly hopefully in July 2019.

in the interview Rodrigo Fernandez of Oaxaca Aerospace says it is the second prototype what we know as the third because the first one was the Pe-210, the later two are P-400T with the same engine, ejection seats, not fixed landing gear, so what I called the third prototype is just a variant of the second, the third prototype has most of modifications in the front of the aircraft in aerodynamics, according to him the Madrid Polytechnic and the wichita University tested the aerodynamic model and confirmed the calculations and mathematical model

Last edited: