Paris Air Show - D-Dalus

They did not fly it.
I was reading this thread yesterday morning so when I saw their booth I took those two shots just because. Sorry no more info, this was a drive-by shooting.
--Luc

Attachments

• DSC00246.JPG
    DSC00246.JPG
    920.6 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC00247.JPG
    DSC00247.JPG
    1,005.5 KB · Views: 251
I try not to be a skeptic. I will be enthused when I see video. IF it does work it will be a great urban facilitator.

Doubtless it can be made to work with enough effort however, such things are quite complex with that complexity can come fragility / reliability issues. UAVs [especially when small] need to be robust, simple and efficient.

A clear advantage is however, the lack of exposed rotors - having been around many UAVs (VTOL and otherwise) over the years, I'd rather not be too close to the rotors of a helicopter...

S

It that is a design consideration, there are shrouded fans.
I fail to see how a cycloidal propeller can be more efficient. It's been tried for ages without success.
--Luc

That's what bugs me a little about this. Bosch Aerospace did Navy SBIR contracts for a cycloidal propeller propulsion UAV a while back (not a quadrotor but a twin with a rear rotor turned 90 degrees for for steering so might be classified a trirotor/tricopter), under the cyclogyro genre. Were the results just not that good?

Attachments

• img033.jpg
    img033.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 155
Thanks for the pics MD. When I first saw this, I thought it was similar to that plane that had the propeller in the TE of the wing. I hadn't realized it was just a cycloidal prop.

ouroboros said:
That's what bugs me a little about this. Bosch Aerospace did Navy SBIR contracts for a cycloidal propeller propulsion UAV a while back (not a quadrotor but a twin with a rear rotor turned 90 degrees for for steering so might be classified a trirotor/tricopter), under the cyclogyro genre. Were the results just not that good?

The Raspet Flight Research Laboratory (part of the Bagley College of Engineering at Mississippi State University) was also involved with Bosch Aerospace in the project. Trying to track down more info.

With the equivalent of a swash-plate per 'paddle', and a ruddy big cartwheel for a hub, the cyclic loads on that Bosch concept are real-scary. At least the D'Dalus has its paddles supported at both ends, constraining off-axis motion...

Uh, IIRC, legend holds that Daedalus flew within his safety envelope and escaped-- Icarus lost a wing and...