Out Now: The Big Book of USAF X-Bombers and X-Fighters

I thought I'd share the three-page Index with you all so that you can see just what's inside the book. Tex Johnson is a typo - should be Johnston. -SP

Attachments

• 180-small.jpg
    180-small.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 688
  • 181-small.jpg
    181-small.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 655
Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for posting this. As an editor who works in the book industry (fiction), I'm always annoyed when I spot a typo or two after a book comes in. Fortunately, our fans are kind enough to point out a few more :) I also hope something else I see that sometimes happens with books like this: someone comes forth with even more credible, verifiable info after publication. There's a web site called 12 O'Clock High that specializes in World War II aviation, but I'll bet they'd have some readers who would be interested in your book, like me (such post-war books do get mentioned). And thanks for the straightforward title. For new blood coming into aviation history, like I did, a while ago (OK, a bit longer), an easy to understand title is better.

Best,
Ed West

ACResearcher said:
Do you have a URL for the 12 O'clock High site?

Thanks

AlanG
"12 O'clock High site"? BTW: New release date for book is March 15, 2016. -SP

ACResearcher said:

Thanks

AlanG
http://www.quartoknows.com/books/9780760349502/The-Big-Book-of-X-Bombers-X-Fighters.html

Steve Pace said:
ACResearcher said:

Thanks

AlanG

Why the sudden date change Steve? No complaints from me though.

FighterJock said:
Steve Pace said:
ACResearcher said:

Thanks

AlanG
I guess Taiwan didn't tie one on. LOL! -SP

Why the sudden date change Steve? No complaints from me though.

Steve Pace said:
XP67_Moonbat said:
Is it too late to put this in the book?
Yes - book will be in stores very soon. -SP

That must be a small annoyance for you in that respect on the timing?

I was only able to mention the LRSB competition and that NG had won the competition, that Boeing had protested it - that' all. -SP

Steve Pace said:
XP67_Moonbat said:
Is it too late to put this in the book?

I suppose you could always include the image and a short note on a free bookmark included with the book.

Steve Pace said:
Cool! I've got it on pre-order from Amazon and I'm looking forward to seeing the final work.

3/10/16 Update: Amazon-US tells me my copy should ship on 3/14. We'll see how accurate that is.

elmayerle said:
Steve Pace said:
Cool! I've got it on pre-order from Amazon and I'm looking forward to seeing the final work.

3/10/16 Update: Amazon-US tells me my copy should ship on 3/14. We'll see how accurate that is.

I recently got a similar thing from the UK Amazon but with a slightly later date.

Mine was shipped on Sat and will arrive tomorrow 16 March. Am looking forward to seeing it

It appears the book is now available. I respectively request from those of you who purchase it to write a review (good or bad) after you've read it on the seller's site from where you purchased it. Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, etc. Thanks so much! -SP

Received my book on Wednesday
Great book Steve,a must have for anyone's library.

Thank you,Jim

jimlea said:
Received my book on Wednesday
Great book Steve,a must have for anyone's library.

Thank you,Jim

I've already got my copy, great stuff.
A clear and clever narration of the U.S. fighters and bombers evolution in the last century.

Steve provides also an insight view of some obscure topics like the missing USAF designation, definitely a must have for each aviation geek.

Got my copy and will be leaving a review on Amazon. The final product is far more than what I proofed and that was great.

My copy has appeared now. Impressed how quickly it has reached me in the UK from the US.

I'm tickled to see 5-star reviews and to read that Amazon claims the book is the "Number 1 new release in military aviation history." -SP

A writeup on the XB-46 portion of the book.
http://warisboring.com/articles/the-xb-46-was-americas-most-beautiful-bomber/

XP67_Moonbat said:
A writeup on the XB-46 portion of the book.
http://warisboring.com/articles/the-xb-46-was-americas-most-beautiful-bomber/
Thanks for this - Good stuff! -SP

Just got my copy today. What a spectacular book. And as an unexpected (to me) bonus there is a sizeable section on propulsive systems.

Got mine yesterday. Covers a lot of items but some of them only get a brief mention. (I realize doing everything justice would have resulted in a 2000 page book so that was pretty much unavoidable.) I do wonder why the XF-103 and XF-108 wouldn't have been considered part of the Century series though. The time frame was right. The designation fit. As the "F-109" was never official I could see leaving that out, and the F-110 was just an F-4 so that one makes sense to leave out as well.

Two thumbs up.

sferrin said:
Got mine yesterday. Covers a lot of items but some of them only get a brief mention. (I realize doing everything justice would have resulted in a 2000 page book so that was pretty much unavoidable.) I do wonder why the XF-103 and XF-108 wouldn't have been considered part of the Century series though. The time frame was right. The designation fit. As the "F-109" was never official I could see leaving that out, and the F-110 was just an F-4 so that one makes sense to leave out as well.

Two thumbs up.
The F-100, F-101, F-102, F-104, F-105 and F-106 are the fighters most recognized as the fighters in the Century Series. I feel the F-103, F-107 and F-108 should have been "officially" included but they were not. "Mores the pity." -SP

Steve Pace said:
sferrin said:

Two thumbs up.
The F-100, F-101, F-102, F-104, F-105 and F-106 are the fighters most recognized as the fighters in the Century Series. I feel the F-103, F-107 and F-108 should have been "official" included but they were not. "Mores the pity." -SP

I often wondered if they just didn't get mentioned because they didn't make it into service. Love those planes.

I have been reading my copy and I do admit to one complaint and it is not directed at Steve.

Many of the pictures and drawings and even the summary card are either before or after the section that dealt with the aircraft in question. Very hard to follow that.

Other than that I think it is a great book.

Now for a question - in the XF-85 Goblin you mention Model 27A to 27D, before the Model 27E can you provide any information on those?

Loren said:
I have been reading my copy and I do admit to one complaint and it is not directed at Steve.

Many of the pictures and drawings and even the summary card are either before or after the section that dealt with the aircraft in question. Very hard to follow that.

Now for a question - in the XF-85 Goblin you mention Model 27A to 27D, before the Model 27E can you provide any information on those?
Thanks so much and if you can PM me at stevepace43@gmail.com I'll provide you your required info? -SP

Loren said:

I think that was art designer‘s fault...And the author has nothing to do with it.

Just recently finished this excellent book on Kindle. Did notice there appears to be a few pictures with the wrong captions in this version. There is a picture of an F-117 dropping a bomb that seems to have a repeated caption from the F-15 section underneath it & also in the F-20 section two of the picture captions have been swapped.

On another topic never I had never heard before that there was indications of the F-19 appearing in a satellite image?

I’m fortunate enough to have a commute that allows me to park on the grounds of the former Glenn L. Martin Company Facility (within sight of the 104th Fighter Squadron’s A-10Cs) and take a commuter train to DC. I’m even more thankful that my office is literally right across the street from the National Air and Space Museum. The fact that I can walk over to the High Temple of Aviation and purchase scores of amazing books written by our fellow forum members helps to ease the stress caused by having to deal with DC politics.

Steve’s book is prominently displayed on the upper shelf, right next to the cash register.

The book looks absolutely fantastic, and I can’t wait to start reading my copy tonight on the train!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 314