• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Otto Aviation Group LLC Celera 500L

Trident

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
It's a great engine, combining efficiency with modest weight (by diesel standards), so no surprise in purely technical terms. The Russian connection, perhaps more so.

Deltafan

Reaction score
Thanks a lot ! :D

I had been waiting for news on this plane for 9 months. To see if he will keep all its promises : cheap operating costs, 4,500-nautical-mile range (!), maximum cruise speed wiht 460 miles per hour (with 500 hp...) and first commercial deliveries by 2025.

Last edited:

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Those hinged wingtips appear to lay flat for take-off ... maximum lift and slower approach speeds ...
But they appear to hinge up for cruise.

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Reaction score

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
For one, Diesel can be low carbon but very high Nox what IMO turn the choice of such engine as weird as it can be for a high alt cruising aircraft (you won't get laminar at 10kft).
Moreover, the forseeable drastic reduction in diesel consumption could eventually lead to a significant cost increase for private users.

On the positive side, a robust diesel engine would run on anything.

TomS

Reaction score
Those hinged wingtips appear to lay flat for take-off ... maximum lift and slower approach speeds ...
But they appear to hinge up for cruise.
I don't see it. There are pics of the aircraft taxiing with the winglets up. In fact, I don't see any recent pics without the winglets, and high-res shots don't show any sign of a hinge. I think they modified the wingtips to incorporate winglets sometime between the initial build and what we see now.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
The support holding the door open looks cheap. Not a good picture marketing wise.

Regarding the winglets, they are probably there more to add dihedral to the wing.

TomS

Reaction score
The support holding the door open looks cheap. Not a good picture marketing wise.

Regarding the winglets, they are probably there more to add dihedral to the wing.
Yeah, it's a super bare-bones demonstrator, isn't it? Not even a hydraulic strut to hold the door open. Still, spending money on the new tech first seems like a reasonable plan.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
Lots of grandiose claims that I will to see in the flesh rather than bravado etc.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score

Yeah, it's a super bare-bones demonstrator, isn't it? Not even a hydraulic strut to hold the door open. Still, spending money on the new tech first seems like a reasonable plan.
Absolutely. This team acts professionally. As noted above, if they can prove their claimed achievements, I wouldn't be surprised to see them prized by the market.

Last edited: