Oshkosh 2021

More different airplanes in one place for a week than anywhere else in the world. Many hours daily of day and night airshows. A seaplane base on Lake Winnebago. Every different kind of airplane there that you can walk up to and even talk to the designers, pilots, owners, and builders. 10 EAA Forums every hour every day. If you love airplanes, you have to go to Oshkosh. Be prepared to walk a lot!

I've been 4 times.

Be sure to bring rain gear for Oshkosh. It's rained least a couple of days of every one I've been to. High wing civil aircraft make good shelters in a pinch. In the '80s, I found the Connie to be a terrible way to get out of the rain. It stood too high off the ground to keep rain off when the wind was blowing and if you got under the fuselage the rain would hit the sides and run down to the bottom of its round fuselage where it would drop right on your head.

The city of Oshkosh is on the shore of the huge Lake Winnebago and 60 miles west of Lake Michigan and that may have a lot to do with the variable weather. It can be in the high 80s during the day but get into the 40s at night.

Many airplanes left Wednesday afternoon and those that stayed tightened their tie downs and sheltered in place. A lot of rain and lightning came in without much damaging wind and fortunately the storms went around Oshkosh and there doesn't appear to be any serious damage other than a lot of wet gear and airplanes to be unwrapped. Arrivals have resumed and Friday and Saturday are the biggest days so the show will go on fine.