Orbilander mission to Enceladus

Interesting concept!

I wonder, could something like ice-melting probe, heated by encapsulated nuclear source, be used to slowly penetrate the ice cover & access the water below?

Enceladus was one of the notional mission profiles for Project Orion.
So I always get a bit wistful when I hear that moon mentioned.

Orbilander wouldn’t launch until 2038 and arrive at Enceladus until at least 2050. Part of that is driven by budget constraints—there’s only so much money to go around—but that’s also when Encleadus’ south pole will be in sunlight.

i'm long dead, when Orbilander arrive at Saturn in 2050...

NASA need high energy engines (JUMBO) for deep space mission like Orbilander, Titan Drone or future Neptun orbiter
I wonder how will capitol hill react once the Russians (or Chinese) tested there Nuclear power ion space tug ?

Orbilander wouldn’t launch until 2038 and arrive at Enceladus until at least 2050. Part of that is driven by budget constraints—there’s only so much money to go around—but that’s also when Encleadus’ south pole will be in sunlight.

NASA need high energy engines (JUMBO) for deep space mission like Orbilander, Titan Drone or future Neptun orbiter
I wonder how will capitol hill react once the Russians (or Chinese) tested there Nuclear power ion space tug ?

Probably something like this. :eek:

Russia is not going to build a nuclear powered ion space tug. Name the last successful Russian deep space mission and the year that it flew.