Opinion: Why America Needs A Space Corps

With CGI these days you can fake anything so actual access to real locations/hardware is for that last 5% of realism. It won't matter for me in any event since I cut my cable over a decade ago and don't have a Netflix account. Watching grown men in kiddie costumes pretending to be superheroes also doesn't interest me so I haven't bought a movie ticket in decades.

Perhaps Trump's original inspiration came from watching this over four decades ago:

More likely he would concur with the text description that goes with the video:

"I recorded this OTA on beta back in 1978 when it aired. I've never seen it or heard of it anyplace else."

Wouldn't be shocked if the new version enjoys a similar fate although it will have more corporate backing.

More likely he would concur with the text description that goes with the video:

"I recorded this OTA on beta back in 1978 when it aired. I've never seen it or heard of it anyplace else."
Note that your and my conjectures are mutually compatible :D.

Last edited:
Tad Williams covered this in his sci-fi series Otherland. In order to make sure there's no confusion about which "Bill Gates" is the real "Bill Gates", the last step of the upload process has to be the death of the physical copy.

Heh, I thought I was the only person who'd read that series. Loved it though I was a bit disappointed in the ending. Conceptually anyway, I can think of a way they could have plausibly pulled off what they were aiming for. (Basically immortality but without having to kill themselves.)
I’m guessing unless you were really obsessive it would only be as the physical form expired naturally or at best life giving treatment stopped.
Whilst I can see how it could be possible one day to upload a copy - the person making the decision to start/do it is the physical one. So great legacy, but it’s not your actual personal continum of consciousness is it? Unless you kind of merge via virtual reality?

Tad Williams covered this in his sci-fi series Otherland. In order to make sure there's no confusion about which "Bill Gates" is the real "Bill Gates", the last step of the upload process has to be the death of the physical copy.

Heh, I thought I was the only person who'd read that series. Loved it though I was a bit disappointed in the ending. Conceptually anyway, I can think of a way they could have plausibly pulled off what they were aiming for. (Basically immortality but without having to kill themselves.)
I’m guessing unless you were really obsessive it would only be as the physical form expired naturally or at best life giving treatment stopped.
Whilst I can see how it could be possible one day to upload a copy - the person making the decision to start/do it is the physical one. So great legacy, but it’s not your actual personal continum of consciousness is it? Unless you kind of merge via virtual reality?

That's what I meant in the remainder of my post. You'd have to slowly replace neurons with inorganic analogs, so they got integrated into your organic brain over time, so you still stay "you". Once everything has been switched over THEN maybe you could move that brain to another body and still be you.

I wonder if what is more likely is simply replacing the organic bits of your body as they wear out? So the core is always “you” thus no need to try and science “consciousness” and move it - just replace the limbs, skeleton etc with grown items from your DNA?

the brain seems the only bit you couldn’t” plug and play” as that is where consciousness resides?? Spine difficult but not impossible?

of course this then gives scope for augmentation, longer, stronger, lighter, bigger etc!

Just saw the first 3 episodes of the Netflix series "Space Force". There is a painting of VSTOL Sea Control Ship (SCS) fighter concept hanging near to the door of General Naird's (Steve Carell) office. BTW, after seen this series for the first few episodes, I can not recommend it to other members. :mad:

If anyone is putting a proposal together to the current POTUS

Attachments

• 0d5ab1cff08a601ab5e8c8f6d3b490e6.jpg
    0d5ab1cff08a601ab5e8c8f6d3b490e6.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 1a17c06a47a23cca830d6bc111f5e5d9--the-angel-scarlett-ohara.jpg
    1a17c06a47a23cca830d6bc111f5e5d9--the-angel-scarlett-ohara.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 137e8eb78885a224293591a39f7cf144.jpg
    137e8eb78885a224293591a39f7cf144.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 16
That's what I meant in the remainder of my post. You'd have to slowly replace neurons with inorganic analogs, so they got integrated into your organic brain over time, so you still stay "you".

See "Ship of Theseus." This thought experiment has been keeping philosophers busy for 2500 years.

That's what I meant in the remainder of my post. You'd have to slowly replace neurons with inorganic analogs, so they got integrated into your organic brain over time, so you still stay "you".

See "Ship of Theseus." This thought experiment has been keeping philosophers busy for 2500 years.

Sure, but at least in theory it should give the person being "upgraded" a chance to stay themselves.

Is time to change

In 1940 Henry Stimson, the US Secretary of War, and General George Marshall, the Chief of Staff of the US Army, decided to reorganize the air force. The Air Corps that had been responsible for training and procurement, and the Air Force Combat Command, were merged to become the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF).

United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) - Spartacus Educational

On April 1, 1918, the Royal Air Force (RAF) is formed with the amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) and the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS). The RAF took its place beside the British navy and army as a separate military service with its own ministry.

after seen this series for the first few episodes, I can not recommend it to other members. :mad:

I've seen the first two and... ugh. So far it's not very good, sadly. It seems like it was told to be humorous, but doesn't really understand the concept of humor.

UPDATE: Watched the whole thing. It was, at its best moments, meh. But most of it was unfunny forgettableness.

Bring on The Orville!

Last edited:

Trigger's Broom . . .

cheers,
Robin.

America needed a space force in order to drag NASA kicking and screaming back to the idea of American astronauts flying regularly on American spaceships. You know, the thing it was able to do fifty years ago without too many issues.

At this stage, I would support Trump if he issued an executive order for NASA to send men back to the moon in the next four years or spend all eternity upside down in a septic tank during a cholera outbreak.

America needed a space force in order to drag NASA kicking and screaming back to the idea of American astronauts flying regularly on American spaceships. You know, the thing it was able to do fifty years ago without too many issues.

Commercial Crew started years ago and was totally unconnected with the Space Force concept. Space Force (and DoD in general) doesn't actually do manned space flight at all, except the usual launch support to NASA.

Yeah I laughed when they named the F-22 after a dinosaur because Jurassic Park was all the rage at the time. (Sure, they said it was after the type of bird -raptor- but they were pandering to the public.) Then there's the ridiculous, "JEDI" program. . .

Yeah I laughed when they named the F-22 after a dinosaur because Jurassic Park was all the rage at the time. (Sure, they said it was after the type of bird -raptor- but they were pandering to the public.) Then there's the ridiculous, "JEDI" program. . .

Hey we almost had a "STARlab" follow up to SkyLab, (Space Technology And Research-lab) as well as an 80s/90s "STARship" (Space Technology and Aerospace Research) hypersonic and space sortie vehicle so why not STAR Command :)

Randy

What is really interesting is that atempts at a Space Force happened in 1958 and 1959.

ARPA was to be this but was eviscerated by NASA CIA USAF USN altogether and survived only through advanced military tech testing.

In 1959 second try... Defense Aerospace Agency - DAA- was actually DOA - stillborn.

Hey about that - made a mistake and created a brand new agency. It was Defense Astronautical Agency.

Last edited:
Right from the horse mouth:
Q: With the creation of the Space Force as an independent military branch within the Department of the Air Force, you’ve had a chance to start building this new relationship with the Space Force. What do Air Force leaders need to do to ensure the military’s ability to continue to do joint warfighting throughout the entire spectrum of operations including space? How do we keep this relationship moving forward?

A: I've been on my own personal journey on this, as you know. Go back and take a look at my initial opening comments when this [effort to create a new Space Force] had started. I was worried that we were going to do that bureaucratic thing that sometimes the Pentagon does, which is when you set up a new organization, three things happen immediately. First thing you do is build a castle, then you build a moat and you fill the moat with dragons because you've got to defend yourself from all those that are coming after your money. It's just the way bureaucracies operate. And I was really concerned that … to set up a separate service we would lose the integration of joint warfighting. … Find me a mission that space is not integral to that. You will not find one. And I was worried that we would lose that integration in joint warfighting going forward.

And then I went down to Maxwell Air Force Base to speak with the Schriever fellows. And those are young majors and lieutenant colonels. They're there to get essentially a PhD after a year in space operations. And I could tell during the conversation that they weren't buying what I was selling. … I could just tell from the body language they just weren't buying it. So I asked them. I said, … “How many of you think we ought to have a separate service for space?” Every hand went up. …

So as I listened to their reasoning, I started doing my own individual research and I thought, listened, read, watched, visited bases. And at one point it was some of the work I was doing with industry and seeing where commercial space was going both domestically and internationally … which is increased access to launch. It was much cheaper and smaller payloads, which allowed you to put more things into space in a single launch. It changed the profit margin. I had to ask myself the question: “Alright, so who can advance space faster at the pace that the nation needs? A service chief that has everything from leaflets to nukes and everything in between, that has the most diverse warfighting portfolio of the services? Or a service chief singularly focused on space, space operations and space integration?” And I have to admit, I came to my own conclusion that [Chief of Space Operations Gen. John “Jay” Raymond] could do it a lot faster than I could. And at that point I became a believer and I've gotten behind it ever since. … I'm really happy with where we are right now on that journey.

Article already cited elsewhere by @dark sidius :

...or downgraded as the United States Space Corps to the geek department of the US Air Force.

I don't think so. The unique stance of the US regarding space endeavor and fiscal or military posture ensures that this is where you stands the best chance to see your investments protected. And that is an understandable value cross any administration in the USA as it stand today.