On RML 100-Ton Gun on Duilio

GianmarcoBianchi

ACCESS: Restricted
Joined
1 December 2025
Messages
38
Reaction score
43
Some of these biggest muzzle loading guns are kept in Gibraltar and Malta now. But at their time most of them were equipped on Italian battleships Duilio and Dandolo.
Any details about the twin-mounted barbette on Duilio class battleships?
And, their further development twin BL 17inch guns mounts on Italia and Lauria classes. I can hardly find their sketches, plans and info.
 
I have a copy of the Transactions of the Institution of Naval Architects 1888 which contains the paper The Application of Hydraulic Power to Naval Gunnery by Lord Armstrong and J. Vavasseur. Accompanying it are a number of gatefolds of Armstrong guns and mountings going up from 6in calibre to the huge 17in breechloaders built for the Italia and Lepanto. Attached is a photo of the gatefold of the latter mounting...
 

Attachments

  • IMG20260321214214.jpg
    IMG20260321214214.jpg
    696.2 KB · Views: 58
Some of these biggest muzzle loading guns are kept in Gibraltar and Malta now. But at their time most of them were equipped on Italian battleships Duilio and Dandolo.
Any details about the twin-mounted barbette on Duilio class battleships?
And, their further development twin BL 17inch guns mounts on Italia and Lauria classes. I can hardly find their sketches, plans and info.

I have some material from a document I will send you via direct message, but I will post relevant pages here. The main data for the gun is on the image here, the diagrams (including turret arrangements) I will place in a spoiler:


1775057111685.png


I hope this helps!

I have another angle on the turret diagram that I can share later, but I will have to photograph it or scan it from a print book.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top Bottom