Old Landing from Non-Stop Air Express

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
A strange idea;

http://books.google.com.eg/books?id=NNoDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA656&dq=popular+mechanics+1922&hl=en&sa=X&ei=v3L8U5LFJLGv7Aae0YCYDg&ved=0CDQQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=popular%20mechanics%201922&f=true

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    513.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 2.png
    2.png
    609.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 3.png
    3.png
    422.7 KB · Views: 108

Attachments

• Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-569-1579.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-569-1579.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 93
The interesting part is the idea that it would be easier for a large plane to carry a bunch of gliders to drop people off than for it to land and take off again after dropping passengers. Possibly a reaction to a shortage of suitable airstrips for long-range aircraft?

The idea does sort of fail the test of how do those people (and the gliders) get back to their original point of departure.

TomS said:
The idea does sort of fail the test of how do those people (and the gliders) get back to their original point of departure.

During and after the war several attemps were made to catch gliders on the ground from flying aircraft. They were
at least partly successful and even proposed for passenger transport, although never used that way.

Jemiba said:
TomS said:

During and after the war several attemps were made to catch gliders on the ground from flying aircraft. They were
at least partly successful and even proposed for passenger transport, although never used that way.
"Partly Successful"? http://members.home.nl/bdaanje/forumpics/GliderSnatching.pdf

Hot Breath said:

I meant, that although tested and even used militarily, that method was proposed, but
never used for passenger flights, as shown in the original post. And even if those gliders
really would have been loaded into the mother plane on the ground, I severely doubt, that
landing them with passengers on board would have been certified, as long, as there was no
way of a making a second attempt for a landing in the case of an unsuccesful first one.