NTRS troubles?

George Allegrezza said:
Looks dead at the moment. Getting "server stopped responding" errors.

I think it is a pretty safe bet it will be down for the duration. Just look at the NASAWatch post regarding NASA web sites.

The latest:

shutdown_banner.png

Who need foreign enemies,
If your own government stab you in back...

Not neccessarily a problem, but no new content will be added until the new NTRS Restricted is brought on line to replace the old NA&SD.

RE: Heads Up: Big Changes for NA&SD Coming Soon!

On November 22nd 2013, the NASA Aeronautics & Space Database (NA&SD) will be retired and it will be replaced with a new information management system coupled with the same search interface used for the NASA Technical Reports Servers (NTRS). The NA&SD name will also retire in favor of NTRS Registered.

As you may know, the Scientific Technical Information Program Office (STIPO) via the Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI), manages these two systems for disseminating NASA’s STI--the NA&SD for both publically available and limited content (restricted by-and-large to Federal employees and contractors) and NTRS for publically available content (available for access worldwide).

Why the change? We are transitioning to a new information management system away from several legacy technologies that have been getting more and more difficult to maintain. Supporting the new system will take less resources and more time can be allotted to improving processes as well as the user experience.

What impact will the change have on you? An immediate impact you may have already noticed is that no new content will be added to NA&SD and NTRS until the new system is in full production by the end of November. Once the NA&SD is retired, the new search interface will look and function very much like the present NTRS interface. In the initial implementation, some features of the current NA&SD will not be available in the new search interface. More information on these changes will be sent out in the next few weeks.

NASA just uploaded new documents to the NTRS. Looks like the material is only from the last decade or so.

I have been unable to download anything recently from NTRS. When I click on the PDF icon a new window opens as if downloading starts, however no document is downloaded.

Does anybody know if it will be restored? Can anybody download documents right now?

best

F_T

Hi Ford,

I just download a file from NASA right now,and it's OK.

thank you hesham.

It was a problem with my browser and now I have solved it

best

F_T

http://www.sti.nasa.gov/

Important Notice
NASA CASI Closes, but STI Services and Products Continue

The STI Program announces the closure of the two offsite, contractor-operated NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI) facilities, effective for operational work on December 15, 2014. CASI served the Agency for several decades by collecting, organizing, disseminating, and preserving NASA’s STI. In recent years the move from print-based to digital-based collection and storage of content has diminished the need for an offsite processing facility. We thank CASI for their dedicated and hard work.

Although CASI is closing, all STI services and products are currently transitioning to contract services at the NASA Langley Research Center by Dec. 8, 2014. As such, customers will continue to have access to the same products and services to which they have been accustomed.

The new STI address is:
NASA STI Program
STI Support Services
Mail Stop 148
NASA Langley Research Center
Hampton, VA 23681-2199
Fax: 757-864-6500

Information Desk is:
help@sti.nasa.gov or
HQ-STI-INFODESK@mail.nasa.gov
757-864-9658

FWIW, I believe the server(s), NTRS and NACA, now combined, have always been at Langley.

Ever since they moved over to a cloud based infrastructure, it has been quite glitchy at the best of times.

Hmmph. At first I thought that it was merely a change in appearance. I was at NTRS yesterday and did some searches; did the same search just now and got the same results. So... big whoop? But then I noticed that if there's an option to sort the results by publication date or accession date, they've done a masterful job of hiding it. Gah.