North Korean UAVs

I do see a clear difference and sensor suite between the NK Reaper and NK Global Hawk and should the NK Global Hawk be a drone that is not HALE capable despite its looks due to lacking specific high altitude engine performance, it cpuld still mean that the SAR equipment is just that much heavier than the EOIR turret on NK Reaper.
The point of mixing a jet engine with a elongated wing w/o going higher is lost - it's a pure downgrade then. Do 2x turboprops like everyone else for this purpose if it's a heavy MALE...

FishylikeCGmockup is flying over Pyongyang. A beautiful illusion for thousands of people.

Attachments

• IMG_20230728_090257_231.jpg
    IMG_20230728_090257_231.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20230728_090256_781.jpg
    IMG_20230728_090256_781.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20230728_090256_813.jpg
    IMG_20230728_090256_813.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20230728_090256_663.jpg
    IMG_20230728_090256_663.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 59
FishylikeCGmockup is flying over Pyongyang. A beautiful illusion for thousands of people.

Well yes, although I can understand that this is a great moment of triumph and glee - and YES; obviously I was wrong - but for a llot coming from NK a question to ask if its real is not that unreasonable ... but now the question arises as to who supplied what, because I'm sure you won't tell me that NK has its own engines of this kind?

So again, YES, I was wrong ... but I'm not convinced and on the contrary, the blind belief in everything from NK or Iran is a silver bullet is certainly unfounded.

That seems to be the standard western reaction whenever DPRK (or other country like Russia or Iran or China) show something impressive, oh it's CGI, it's mock-up, it's not real, blah blah blah. Mr Deino here seems to be just towing the line, which considering i've been following for many years and bought some of his books, it's dejectable to say the least.

Let me allow to give a brief comment! Yes I was wrong and I admit it ... but thru all my work while following China and the PLA to add a good portion of scepticism at first when seeing something new was not my worst decision. As such I can totally understand all joy and gloating towards "these arrogant Western" observers, but in return taking all and everything from NK or Iran for granted is at least IMO naive, unjustified and maybe even dangerous.

But again, I was wrong and now let's wait for more information and images.

Aparently the drones are called Morningstar-4 (RQ-4) and 9 (MQ-9), or in korean as i understand Saetbyol-4 and 9. They're trolling the americans with the numbers lol.

Does anybody know what this is?
PIC0075030-1.jpg
It looks like an HGV, but I'm unfamiliar with the NK inventory.

Edit: to explain further, it doesn't look like any North Korean HGV I've ever seen previously.

Last edited:
Armarment of MQ-9 is of Iranian origin, though North Korea has joint research and development with them.
Also wing span same as early MQ-9 and has 3 pylons per wing as newer variants of MQ-9.

If engine is of comparable performance to one used for MQ-9 then it opens up pathway to produce domestic transportation aircraft depending on scale along heavy drone with two turboprops that carry 2 to 3 tons of payload.

apologies for drifting OT., I recall a similar BS. 'Intelligence report' from a few decades back purporting Iraq was doing similar re. unmanned aircraft conversions, the story even picked up/planted by some magazines too :D (I wonder if the same 'agent' ?)

Last edited:
That's my post:p
Supplement:
View attachment 717503
I think the jet engine of it may be a turbojet from MiG-21.
Maybe R-11/R-13/R-25
Here I assume that the engine is r-13 and draw a simple conjecture.
View attachment 717504
Well spotted.:)
It does seem a bit weird tho`,keeping the variable nozzle and afterburner?.It`ll be very interesting to see some pictures [hopefully] of the rear section of the one on the runway and see if it conforms with the setup in the display pic.
I`m honestly rather surprised that they didnt look at the SU-25s R-195,or better yet covertly acquiring a small stock of AE3007s through a front company.

I`m just picturing this thing in afterburner.....:D

Well spotted.:)
It does seem a bit weird tho`,keeping the variable nozzle and afterburner?.It`ll be very interesting to see some pictures [hopefully] of the rear section of the one on the runway and see if it conforms with the setup in the display pic.
I`m honestly rather surprised that they didnt look at the SU-25s R-195,or better yet covertly acquiring a small stock of AE3007s through a front company.

I`m just picturing this thing in afterburner.....:D
It may be due to the consideration of reliability and feasibility that the engine has been modified to a minimum or not.
The advantage of using turbojet is that they have the overhaul ability of this engine and can ensure that they can maintain it completely independently.

It may be due to the consideration of reliability and feasibility that the engine has been modified to a minimum or not.
The advantage of using turbojet is that they have the overhaul ability of this engine and can ensure that they can maintain it completely independently.
It could very well be that they test various components separately with engine and landing gear being known quantity.
If there is a new engine of similar dimensions to R-13 or any other turbojet engine used on MiG-21 / J-7 series then used as substitute.
RD-33 for example is of comparable dimensions to R-13 and its derivatives though it could be a new engine development involving Iranians.

For now they could test various systems, sub-systems and airframe itself with R-13 or newer variant of it having similar thrust to turbofan engine used in RQ-4 Global Hawk.

Last edited:
yes, that's why I said "maybe r11/r13/r25"
... and ?

You should not have solely mention R-13 on your Weibo post.
As too making a diagram with it solely writing R-13-300.
Since people take it as only one because of that.

Unknown engine

It seems to have the characteristics of the turboshaft / turboprop engine, and it is likely to be a centrifugal compressor
View attachment 705496
View attachment 705497
I think your hypothesis is right, that painting also appears in another photo of the visit, Kim Jong-un finds himself near a small jet engine, but the red arrow, despite the photo being partially censored, shows the drawing of a turboshaft engine, turboshaft unit structurally similar to the Klimov-Motor-Sich TV3-117VMA-SBM1, but smaller in size, perhaps intended for a training aircraft or a UAV/Drone, alternatively with 2 engines a light passenger/cargo aircraft . F27HBj4W0AAw1M.jpg
PS:
I suspect that the model under the picture, always indicated by a red arrow, appears to be the reducer to connect the propeller and the jet engine indicated by Kim Jong-un could also be used to create the turboshaft/turboprop unit

I think your hypothesis is right, that painting also appears in another photo of the visit, Kim Jong-un finds himself near a small jet engine, but the red arrow, despite the photo being partially censored, shows the drawing of a turboshaft engine, turboshaft unit structurally similar to the Klimov-Motor-Sich TV3-117VMA-SBM1, but smaller in size, perhaps intended for a training aircraft or a UAV/Drone, alternatively with 2 engines a light passenger/cargo aircraft .View attachment 717719
PS:
I suspect that the model under the picture, always indicated by a red arrow, appears to be the reducer to connect the propeller and the jet engine indicated by Kim Jong-un could also be used to create the turboshaft/turboprop unit
Thank you for your reply.
Actually, I think I have identified this mysterious engine: Rolls-Royce M250
The engine may come from the md500 helicopter owned by North Korea.
屏幕截图 2024-01-20 134940_015038.png

With the possibility of them making a turboprop powerplant for fixed wing aircraft, I was curious to see what their turboprop modified Yak-18/CJ-5 might look like.
And then I also played with the images with the CJ-6 (which some sources indicate as being available from the DPRK)
... Again, it's just out of curiosity
ipotesi.jpg

I could see it if they place engine limiter on it since those trainer aircraft are not designed for speed it could go if it had such at full power.
At very least fuel consumption could be much lower thus longer flights possible.

Wonder what other interesting UAV developments the North Koreans will have.

Wonder what other interesting UAV developments the North Koreans will have.
Some will traditionally laugh at it, some will be outraged, but the development will go beyond the limits of unmanned aircraft and will be very - again "surprisingly" - fast. The new life-giving injection will be engine technologies from Russia.

Back
Top Bottom