North Korean SAMs

lancer21

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Thanks for the link BP. Have you ever came across a similar sort of paper regarding DPRK's new air defence systems? It's a subject that interests me greatly.

It's pretty clear they have at least 2 new SAM systems, the Pon'gae-6 and the DPRK Tor-like SHORAD, however i suspect there may be as much as FOUR new SAM systems!

Have a look at this video here of the 2022 parade, the AD systems parade starts at 10:40 with the DPRK Tor. Then starting at 11:00 there seems to be a KM-SAM like system with 8 round canisters but on a tracked chassis. It is then followed by the Pon'gae-6, and lastly at 11:35 there seems to be a 4 square canister SAM that reminds me of an iranian 15th of Khordad, and i swear i saw a chinese SAM with such a configuration recently but i can't find it now, and forgot what it was called (they have so many of them!).

What do you make of it?

KM-SAM like system with 8 round canisters but on a tracked chassis
That is a launcher vehicle for anti-ship cruise missiles, probably Kumsong-3 series.

4 square canister SAM that reminds me of an iranian 15th of Khordad
That is a short-range ballistic missile launcher, probably for missiles with tactical nuclear warheads.

Thus, still only two SAM systems, i.e. Tor-derivative and Pon'gae-6.

I have looked at Kumsong-3 and the canister looks much bigger in diameter. While it's a guess i'll stand by my assessment for now, DPRK being organized as they are, the AD systems must be all together, first is the DPRK Tor, then the medium range SAM, then the Pon'gae-6. The fourth and last is true it's hard to assess since it's followed by an SRBM or whatever balistic missile that is (Iskander like?), but still looks like a SAM to me. Was it shown before?

See this overview:
https://opennuclear.org/sites/default/files/2022-05/25 April 2022 DPRK parade_0_0.pdf

The tracked launcher (page 16). Sorry, my bad. There IS a tracked launcher vehicles for Kumsong-3 missiles, but the containers are different, they are bigger, as you say correctly, and also have different setup of bands. Thus, you can be well right. Also, it could be a cruise missile launcher. Not sure. Xu Tianran, the expert that wrote the overview, leans towards cruise missiles, but doesn't rule air defense system either.

The SRBM (page 18): Yes, it was tested on April 16, 2022.

Great file, thanks for the link. Right so it's settled that the last one is a SRBM. Do they have a file for the 2020 parade? I'll look on their site anyway, just asking in case it's in some other place.

PS: Found it, great source, they have everything organized so finally it's easy to get grasp of the various systems in one place.