North American's 1956 "grandfather" of the « Bronco »

Mark Nankivil

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting North American artwork - grandfather of the OV-10 :)

[link no longer active]

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Seller's description:

MANY MORE airline and airplane paper items, some very rare and unusual, to be listed in my other auctions all day (so check back) that came from the estate of a graphic designer - I will gladly combine multiple items to save on shipping. This auction includes 4 items. The first is a printed piece of "Confidential" art from North American Aviation of a military aircraft. It is also marked "Report No. NA-56H-402" and "dated 8 November 1956". Also included are three pieces of hand drawn planes. Two are pencil drawn, the third is ink over pencil. One was drawn in such light pencil that I could not get a good close up picture of it. What makes them unusual is that they are signed-off and dated in the upper left corner (all in 1955). What they were originally used for is certainly up for speculation. My best guess, based on the collection they came from, is that they were initial drawings for brochures or other promotional materials done for the company that produced them. Just my guess. The pencil and ink art shows the Republic XF-84H, the extremely light pencil art shows the Republic XP-72, and the last shows the Lockheed XP-58 Chain Lightning. All four included pieces are on standard sized 8 1/2' x 11" paper.

Attachments

• AAW.JPG
    AAW.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 527
  • AAX.JPG
    AAX.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 542
  • AAY.JPG
    AAY.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 511
  • AAZ.JPG
    AAZ.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 476
Jay Frank Dial was the Vought modelmaker who made the SAMI and VFAX models in the late 1960s. He also wrote a book - "United States Camouflage WW-II". He was a friend of forum Gary Morelock, and passed away some years ago now.

Not sure what he was doing in 1955, looks like drawings done for a magazine to me. Seller is in Newark, Ohio, which I believe is where Gary Morelock lived.

Jay Dial also made models for other manufacturers, including Bell Helicopter. Attached photo is of a HUL-1 (Navy 47J) made by Jay, mostly of brass. A very talented man.

Attachments

• Bell HUL-1 Model 01.jpg
    Bell HUL-1 Model 01.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 446
Hadn't seen this topic before... Fascinating piece of Bronco history!

AAY is the Lockheed XP-58 Chain Lightning. Did look a bit like the P-61, but had inline engines, crew of only 2.