Next Generation Jammer (NGJ)

NGJ-LB (Low Band) contract award goes to L3:

The USN originally awarded the contract in 2020 but following multiple protests, the Navy issued an amended request for proposals in 2023 and this contract supports the final design efforts and manufacturing of operational prototype pods and system-level prototypes.

This latest increment will counter a larger capacity of adversary systems in the low-frequency electromagnetic spectrum. NGJ-LB is scheduled to reach early operational capability in 2029.

Raytheon, an RTX (NYSE: RTX) business, has been awarded a $192 million contract from the U.S. Navy to develop the Next Generation Jammer Mid-Band Expansion (NGJ-MBX), an upgrade to the current Next Generation Jammer Mid-Band (NGJ-MB) system.

This modification will extend the frequency range of the NGJ-MB system to counter additional threats. MBX provides additional capabilities to improve operational effectiveness.

As a reminder:
- NJG-HB Cancelled
- Raytheon for NJG-MB AN/ALQ-249(V)1 which covers a 2GHz to 6GHz and NJG-MBX (eXpansion - unknow frequency range)
- L3 for NGJ-LB ranging from 500MHz to 2GHz

(Edit; updated with new information)

Last edited:
As a reminder:
- Raytheon for NJG-MB AN/ALQ-249(V)1 which covers a 2GHz to 6GHz and NJG-MBX (eXpansion - unknow frequency range)
- L3 for NGJ-LB ranging from 500MHz to 2GHz
The answer is X-band.

If MBX sucess, Navy will not procure NGJ-HB.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241003-180646.png
    Screenshot_20241003-180646.png
    535.8 KB · Views: 12
Perhaps I poorly explained myself. The MBX band extension beyond 6GHz was implicit to me. What we don´t know, is the range of the band extension (8, 12GHz ?).

I updated my post to reflect some of the info you pointed us at.

Last edited:
Perhaps I poorly explained myself. The MBX band extension beyond 6GHz was implicit to me. What we don´t know, is the range of the band extension (8, 12GHz ?).
NGJ-HB was supposed to cover 6-18Ghz, so that probably answers the question.