New Robocop Trailer

Sheesh, again with the remakes. Hollywood is completely out of fresh ideas.

That doesn't mean I won't go to see it of course.

Orionblamblam said:
... Plus, the original ED-209 looked impressive, this one looks "meh."

Seems to be a problem between generations ! We, me and my son, watched "Robocop" (the old,
original version !) and his comment was "Well, but the new one seems to be much better !" :-\

Jemiba said:
Orionblamblam said:
... Plus, the original ED-209 looked impressive, this one looks "meh."

Seems to be a problem between generations ! We, me and my son, watched "Robocop" (the old,
original version !) and his comment was "Well, but the new one seems to be much better !" :-\
I think it's generational too. My niece loves the new Transformer films. But when we saw episodes from the original cartoon she complained the stories where corny and the bots looked blocky and stupid.

Some things are best left in the past. "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century," for example. When I was ten, it was awesome. When I saw it again at 20, it was terrifyingly awful. And when I saw it again at about 40, it was, if anything, even worse.

Since there is no recent version of it, I kinda wonder what a modern kid would think of it. But then, I also wonder what would happen if you could raise a passel of babies to adulthood via robots, without direct human intervention and without human cultural stuff (would they develop a functional language? Religion? Government?). But some people think that that would be cruel to the kids, so I guess no showing 'em Buck Rogers.

As someone who's never seen Buck Rogers in any form of film or video (I'm in my 20's), watching 10 minutes of it was entertaining to me, if partly due to novelty.

Orionblamblam said:
Some things are best left in the past. "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century," for example. When I was ten, it was awesome. When I saw it again at 20, it was terrifyingly awful. And when I saw it again at about 40, it was, if anything, even worse.

Some things never age. Such as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77H5nHdcyQM

This looks like another fiasco, just like Total Recall remake. Should I tell you that they plan to remake Escape from New York too? :-\

There are two trailers for this remake I've seen. One is smarter and the other is bangier. The smart one has an interesting story about American robots securing the world (ie Middle East) and Jules from Pulp Fiction complaining that Americans were "robophobic" for not letting them be used for policing in America. Hence the Robocop cyborg. This movie looks interesting.

PS I agree that just reusing the ED-209 look and basic android robots is far from impressive in this day and age. A robotic Alien or something more like a giant cockroach would have been scarier.