New Moderators for the forum

Congratulations to all the new moderators ! :)

For Helmutkohl : Japanese forumer with the name of a German Chancelor who participated in the reunification of his country (and an avatar reminiscent of Area 88 ?). I have to admit it's a riddle to me ;)

Thanks for all the kind support and to Paul for appointing me.
I'm looking forward to keeping the naval section 'shipshape and Bristol fashion'.
Only been at this a month or so and have two questions.

A comment on unbuilt projects can quickly veer into built projects, which would seem beyond the scope of the site. This doesn't bother me, as there are not many places where one can discuss such things with others having a similar interest. Still, where do you want to draw the line (if at all)?

I would like to give recommendations and brief commentary on source material. However, these are likely to be for profit entities. I have no connection to them. Can I name them? (I have seen Amazon mentioned)

Thanks for your input.

I will attempt to answer - the other moderators may also add their perspectives.
A comment on unbuilt projects can quickly veer into built projects, which would seem beyond the scope of the site. This doesn't bother me, as there are not many places where one can discuss such things with others having a similar interest. Still, where do you want to draw the line (if at all)?
We don't generally have a hard rule/firm line in the sand here. While obviously there are some that are clear cut (such as a thread on developments that never led to hardware or only a prototype), there are others that get a bit more blurred (for instance, where does one go with experimental/secret developments of a platform that actually entered service and which may have entered service during the life of the thread here?). Sometimes if things are tending more in one direction we will either move the thread or even split it into the relevant sub-discussions (we also do the reverse and merge threads too). We do take suggestions here from members too
I would like to give recommendations and brief commentary on source material. However, these are likely to be for profit entities. I have no connection to them. Can I name them? (I have seen Amazon mentioned)
Such commentary is welcomed so long as it is constructive. For instance, discussing a source you have found/access to and giving your opinions on its usefulness/credibility is welcomed. However, slipping into 'mud-slinging' because you happen to disagree with something is not - we have recently had some instances of this. We also recognise that often sources are from commercial/profit entities. Again no problem here so long as you qualify your position vis-à-vis them it's fine - for example, stating that a particular book (with link to publisher or Amazon etc) is a good source etc is fine. Doing so for a book you wrote, but which you failed to declare as being your's is a bit disingenuous.

Only been at this a month or so and have two questions.

We have dedicated non-project sections, where you can discuss built designs. If discussions veer off projects too far, they can be split.

Thanks for your input.

Sure, no problems there.

As you quoted my post I assume you want advice relating to naval topics?

As the other mods have said there is a blurred dividing line. Often when discussing projects its inevitable to talk about real ships and the background context. This is fine in the Naval projects section.

But if you're talking about wholly non-project stuff, e.g. questions about specific aspects of a particular ship or news about recent deployments or discussions about naval battles in general are best place in the Military section.

When discussing projects its usually very helpful to state sources of information and references.