Need Scanner, but wat to buy ?

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
5,374
Reaction score
2,462
i work with a old Epson perfection 1260 scanner

but my Clients complain about poor quality scan
so bye by Epson for ever

but Wat to buy ?

i play with idea to buy Mustek ScanExpress A3 USB 1200 Pro
http://www.amazon.com/Mustek-Express-A3-USB-Scanner/dp/B000WKSZ5A/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

A3/11x17 scanner
is low cost 150€ vs 2000€ for other A3 scanner, but get good review
http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000WKSZ5A/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Question:
has one of you, this scanner and Wat experience with it ?

i use Apple PowerPC G5
 

Antonio

Moderator
Staff member
Senior Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
3,649
Reaction score
511
No idea about that Scan Michel, I'm sorry.

I use an Epson Perfection 1670 on my iMac G5 (OSX 10.5 Leopard) and it works great. I bought it on 2004 and after intensive use it still works fine. 150 € is a great reasonable price for an A3 scanner but I rather prefer the A4 format for a future replacement. Big size originals are not an inconvenience for me because it is very easy to join scans with Pixelmator.

cheers,

Antonio
 

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
5,374
Reaction score
2,462
pometablava said:
No idea about that Scan Michel, I'm sorry.

I use an Epson Perfection 1670 on my iMac G5 (OSX 10.5 Leopard) and it works great. I bought it on 2004 and after intensive use it still works fine. 150 € is a great reasonable price for an A3 scanner but I rather prefer the A4 format for a future replacement. Big size originals are not an inconvenience for me because it is very easy to join scans with Pixelmator.

cheers,

Antonio

my is a 5 years old perfection 1260. and now it makes unsharp scans
and for Work i switch on A3 format ( i used photocopy machine for A3->A4, then scanner )
 

Barrington Bond

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
May 4, 2007
Messages
938
Reaction score
179
Anybody got recommendations for a photo/negative scanner which is also good for ordinary scanning?

Regards,
Barry
 

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
5,374
Reaction score
2,462
Barrington Bond said:
Anybody got recommendations for a photo/negative scanner which is also good for ordinary scanning?

Regards,
Barry

there good models from HP for that
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/can.do?landing=scanner&category=photo&catLevel=1&storeName=storefronts
 

Barrington Bond

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
May 4, 2007
Messages
938
Reaction score
179
I was hoping for a "I use this scanner and never had a problem with it" or "avoid at all costs this one!!" kind of response...

Regards,
Barry
 

Avimimus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
2,075
Reaction score
241
I personally view the speed of the scan as being paramount. Its a hard area to get data on though (and a highly variable feature between makes at that). There was a copy of consumer report at some point that had relative speeds for four models or so. S!
 

Apteryx

ACCESS: Confidential
Joined
Sep 28, 2007
Messages
152
Reaction score
20
Michel Van said:
i work with a old Epson perfection 1260 scanner

but my Clients complain about poor quality scan
so bye by Epson for ever

but Wat to buy ?

i play with idea to buy Mustek ScanExpress A3 USB 1200 Pro
http://www.amazon.com/Mustek-Express-A3-USB-Scanner/dp/B000WKSZ5A/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

That Mustek gets middling reviews, and it sounds like you may need Photoshop to get it to play with a Mac.
I have to say that my best experience has been with Epsons; I've used several. Sorry about yours fuzzing out, but I've had three scanners (not Epsons) just die within a couple of years, so keep it in perspective...

--Ian
 
Top