Need an ID -- Turboprop Seaplane Strike Bomber, ca. 1948

Clioman

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Anybody recognize the design in the attached sketch? It was published by Aviation Week on November 8, 1948 in an article titled, ""Plane-Sub Team Devised for Navy." The proponent of the concept--using subs to refuel seaplane atomic strike acft at sea--was identified as a retired Navy Captain named C. H. 'Dutch' Schildhauer, and the article suggested that he was linked with the Glenn L. Martin Company. On the other hand, the article compared the design to the Convair XP5Y-1. More info would be most welcome.

Attachments

• Seaplane-1054.jpg
    Seaplane-1054.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 479
  • Seaplane-2055.jpg
    Seaplane-2055.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 475
Very interesting!!! Unfortunately Clioman, I have nothing for you. But I will be very interested as to what this is!!

Regards
Pioneer

It has a "Convair" look but can't add any data. I took a look at "Convair Advanced Designs" by Robert E. Bradley but found nothing.

She's a beauty to be sure. She does kinda have a Skate-ish quality to her. However I also don't remember seeing this design in the CONVAIR book.

It could be the cancelled Martin twin engine patrol bomber - Martin model 208, designated PBB-1. -SP

Steve Pace said:
It could be the cancelled Martin twin engine patrol bomber - Martin model 208, designated PBB-1. -SP

NO! The PBB-1 was Boeing's Model 344 "Sea Ranger", and Martin's Model 208 was simply supposed to be the sub-contracted production version.

The design in the picture is much later and would be more in the 300+ range I think.