Navair To Test Special Version Of Winglets On V-22

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Navair to test special version of winglets on V-22.

Sources:
http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_04_16_2012_p26-446895.xml
http://40yrs.blogspot.com/2012/04/im-not-sure-if-these-are-winglets-or.html

Attachments

• AW_04_16_2012_1422_L1.jpg
    AW_04_16_2012_1422_L1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 701
Well at least all the money the Army spent on BB last seven years didn't go to waste...

I had been wondering if Formula 1 style aero package winglets would appear on aircraft. This beast was never a looker, the addition of warthog like tusks on the nacelles hasn't helped! If they work however then bolt em on!

After some thoughts, I wouldn't expect them to act like conventional winglets, as they aren't working in the
relatively calm airflow of te wing, but in the wash of the rotorprops.

Structurally, they are a pain; requiring the addition of several structural members to the nacelle structure.

elmayerle said:
Structurally, they are a pain; requiring the addition of several structural members to the nacelle structure.
And therefore; added weight. The bane of all aircraft.

Well, a production version would optimize the nacelle design to add these. This is a flight test effort and isn't as refined. The same holds true for some of the other projects in work or test on the V-22.

Attachments

• V-22 weird sails.jpg
    V-22 weird sails.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 376
Holy Bananas! So happy to see elmayerle's back!

flateric said:
My goodness! They will have to change the name from Osprey to Porcupine.

Has this reached hardware yet?

Personally, I think it enhances the looks.

Avimimus said:
Has this reached hardware yet?

Personally, I think it enhances the looks.
The prototype hardware is ready to ship to Pax River. Finding an aircraft with the free time for the mod effort and then testing seems to be the hangup. That all the available aircraft are early production and thus not exactly the same as current models off the line adds a few complications in that the nacelle structure evolved over time. Too, there've been field mods that are not necessarily reflected on the drawings and models. We ran into this modifying Bell's current testbed/technical demonstrator aircraft for the first demonstration effort.

yasotay said:
elmayerle said:
other projects in work or test on the V-22.

... such as? ;D
Well, there's the one that appeared as a small picture in Combat Aircraft a few months back and at least one other intended to add on to that. Both are aimed at resolving known problem issues. More, though, I can't say at this time since I'm intimately involved with both. I will say that first one is in field testing now and doing very, very well; this means that the last quarter ofthe year is likely to get very hectic for me.

Additional Info
Since I wrote the above, I've acquire a copy of the May, 2013 issue of Combat Aircraft. In the middle of page 13 is a gorgeous color picture of the "Xworx Osprey" that I'm doing work on. The front of the shown LH nacelle illustrates the first demonstration program installed and under test. If you stop and think how Bf109's and Mc.202's were adapted for North Africa, the function of the mod should be obvious.

elmayerle said:
yasotay said:
elmayerle said:
other projects in work or test on the V-22.

... such as? ;D
Well, there's the one that appeared as a small picture in Combat Aircraft a few months back and at least one other intended to add on to that. Both are aimed at resolving known problem issues. More, though, I can't say at this time since I'm intimately involved with both. I will say that first one is in field testing now and doing very, very well; this means that the last quarter ofthe year is likely to get very hectic for me.

Figured as much. Good news is that you are keeping busy improving the aircraft.

See the additional info I editted into my original post. The picture also does a nice job on the testbed paint scheme. One correction to the caption, it wasn't an engine fire so much as a surge on a rather high-time engine.

I should note that I have seen these "sails" and they are roughly a foot from root to tip, measure straight, not along the curve.

The testbed aircraft is now fully outfitted. I saw some pictures from Pax River today; definitely different looking.