• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Nasa chief scientist: 'We’re close to finding and announcing alien life on Mars....but is the world ready?'

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
The world is not prepared for the discovery of life on another planet even though it may only be a couple of years away, Nasa’s Chief Scientist has warned.

Next summer, two rovers from Nasa and the European Space Agency (ESA), will travel to Mars to drill horizontally into rocks and deep into the surface, in the hope of finding evidence of living organisms.
Original interview:

Not behind a paywall:

Fluff

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
They are getting us ready....

Brexit is all part of it, so the country can return to orbit.....

edwest

Reaction score
Not ready for what? The world is not ready? Says who? I'm ready. Bring it on. Ahem. Why is NASA so sure? Sounds like smoke but no fire.

uk 75

Reaction score
or the lads with the tripods and heat rays.
Mind you at least our little unmanned rovers wont make an unprovoked attack on them

edwest

Reaction score
The Mysteron City? That... that would be news. Microbes? Bah... humbug.

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Reaction score
or the lads with the tripods and heat rays.
Mind you at least our little unmanned rovers wont make an unprovoked attack on them
Martian Rock Snakes . . .

cheers,
Robin.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Sounds like more fake news from NASA.

edwest

Reaction score
Why don't they wait until they have something in hand?

drejr

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Why don't they wait until they have something in hand?
Because The Telegraph interviewed him and asked him about his thoughts on the matter? It's philosophical musing, not an announcement.

Hood

Reaction score
Didn't we already have that with the fossilised microbes on that lump of meteorite in 1996? I was only a kid then, but I remember the media fuss but it soon died down. We've found water on Mars, again a few headlines but I don't remember mass public excitement.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
I'm ready. Though i would expect the life would be in shape of microbes instead of space-catgirls.
Bugger, you had to go and ruin my day and I was soooooo looking forward to Seeing the space cat girls/space girls of any variety being revealed in an imminent first contact release. Darnit. I wonder how many eyes they will have...........

edwest

Reaction score
Philosophical musing is based on something not nothing. When they can produce photos of the "I can see the future" microbes then fine. Until then, quit speculating.

drejr

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Did you read the article? Dr. Green simply says if the Mars 2020 or ExoMars missions find evidence of life it will open new lines of scientific inquiry.

The headline is quite sensational.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Did you read the article? Dr. Green simply says if the Mars 2020 or ExoMars missions find evidence of life it will open new lines of scientific inquiry.

Called it.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Called it.
The fake news is not really from NASA, its from the Telegraph spin on the story.