Hi Chris,It would make sense to use existing, proven systems on such a machine and when it comes to high-speed aircraft, you need to be able to stop. So re-use of the SR-71's undercarriage, or components of it would be understandable.
Bob225 - I agree with your sentiment on these multi-post threads (TL;DR) but I think I mentioned on another thread that we had our stab at all this speculation in the 1990s (I assume you were around then), so why not let the new 6th generation black aircraft chasers have their AI/not AI fun?
I use the 'Ignore' function.
Chris
Because SecAF who killed them was turned down by the Blackbird program due to not being a good enough pilot and he wanted to make sure that the retirement could not be undone.
This is probably the most plausible theory I've yet seen for this SR-71 "disappearance". Its mental to think that the SR-71, as far as manned, high speed flight goes, is still state-of-the-art.My guess is this is the rumored hypersonic aircraft LM has been working on for a while now and the SR-71 is being refurbished to act as the highest speed chase plane available. It won't be able to chase for the full envelope, most chase planes can't, but I'll bet the SR-71 can chase for somewhere between 60% to 75% of the new vehicles' flight envelope.
Easily 200k an hour, just from inflation alone.Another thought; I wonder what the maintenance cost per flight hour would be now? It was something like $80k per hour in the 80s.....
There was a rumour a couple of years back the pratt and Whitney were buying j58s from museumsEasily 200k an hour, just from inflation alone.
Then digging all the old Habu Brats out of retirement to work on the thing.
There's was a rumour a couple of years back the pratt and Whitney were offering to buy j58s from museums.IIRC, the engines were not loaded with long-term-storage preservative oils, so while the blades may not be destroyed the internals are.
Because SecAF who killed them was turned down by the Blackbird program due to not being a good enough pilot and he wanted to make sure that the retirement could not be undone.
so while the blades may not be destroyed the internals are.
I mean, if said person happens to be a billionaire pilot who runs NASA, then yes, I'm sure even the X-15s might get recommissioned some time soon.....Not sure about anyone else, but I definitely never even considered “F-14s and SR-71s flying again” for spots on my 2026 BINGO card. Now it’s looking like a person can bring the possibility up in conversation and not be laughed out of the room.
The last SR-71 Blackbird, the fastest piloted jet in history, has gone missing from NASA’s Armstrong Flight Research Center at the same time as NASA has teased a new high-speed aircraft X-Plane program. So, what exactly does any of that mean, and can we expect to see this legendary aircraft return to the skies? Let’s run down what we know.
Ha ha, a very funny man. I'm sure he'll be spot-on as usual.Sandboxx has put out a short video concerning the speculation that NASA's mystery X-plane is going to be a recommissioned SR-71A:
Ha ha, a very funny man. I'm sure he'll be spot-on as usual.
Chris
Disappointed, more likely.When we see the real aircraft I'll get excited.
My guess is this is the rumored hypersonic aircraft LM has been working on for a while now and the SR-71 is being refurbished to act as the highest speed chase plane available. It won't be able to chase for the full envelope, most chase planes can't, but I'll bet the SR-71 can chase for somewhere between 60% to 75% of the new vehicles' flight envelope.
I really hope you're right.My guess is this is the rumored hypersonic aircraft LM has been working on for a while now and the SR-71 is being refurbished to act as the highest speed chase plane available. It won't be able to chase for the full envelope, most chase planes can't, but I'll bet the SR-71 can chase for somewhere between 60% to 75% of the new vehicles' flight envelope.