Mysterious Aircraft Spotted At Area 51

My first thought was a Draken as well. Neither of the two airworthy Drakens currently in the US have any publicly available flight activity in the past few years, but if they were supporting DOD/classified flight ops then that would be expected.

I do recall rumors of a NGAD demonstrator being operational over the past few years, so if this is some sort of new platform, maybe it shows that the real "secret sauce" isn't visible from the outside by looking at satellite photos. Someone may be trying to send a message.

Wth would an ancient, swedish, airframe do at Area 51? It just doesnt make much sense. This either being trolling or contra intelligence (kinda like trolling), seems far more likely to me.

A highly sensitive program parked out during the day, no way. They know when the satellites are scheduled to fly over, once you are in the air and on the range your OK or you fly at night, they're playing around.

Wth would an ancient, swedish, airframe do at Area 51? It just doesnt make much sense. This either being trolling or contra intelligence (kinda like trolling), seems far more likely to me.
Drakens are used for dissimilar air combat training all over the country. Several private companies have operated them as well as the national test pilot school. Drakens have been regular visitors to Nellis, Tonopah, Pt Mugu, Fallon, and many other places.

Actually, the Draken has been on the "ranch" more than once.
Interesting. I havent followed Draken-in-USA saga too closely but i was under impression those Drakens that are in USA are privately owned, not USAF? But i suppose they can be lent out or something... Still, find it strange that a Draken is on about at Area 51 at a reasonably newly erected huge hangar.

Interesting. I havent followed Draken-in-USA saga too closely but i was under impression those Drakens that are in USA are privately owned, not USAF? But i suppose they can be lent out or something... Still, find it strange that a Draken is on about at Area 51 at a reasonably newly erected huge hangar.

A number of private companies provide military jet aircraft services to the US military. This ranges from air combat training and range/flight test support services to air refueling and simulating cruise missiles.
Some of these companies are:

Draken International

Air USA

ATAC

And a number of others. There are also various aircraft (Su-27, Su-25, MiG-29. MiG-27, J35, etc.) owned by holding companies that may be affiliated with the above companies or the US government. Several of these companies operate or have operated Saab Drakens.

This is a Draken formerly used by ATAC:

Here's my quick crappy sketch of the aircraft seen in the image. I couldn't tell if the inlets are above the chines or below, so I just went conservative and assumed they are of the F-22 carat inlet design. Based on the shadows, you can see the wingtips are canted up, but I have no idea if they're flight control surfaces. I also assumed since this is most likely a demonstrator it would have one F-135 with the exhaust design similar to that seen on the FB-23. Take it with a grain of salt. I was just trying to add a little definition to what is seen in the image.

1643938610861.png

To those who say the military doesn't play practical jokes and wouldn't never print an airplane picture on a "tarp" I know people first hand who served and played jokes on and had fun with the ruskies throughout the cold war. Hell you can read about some if it in popular books.

The chain of ownership over that pic is also frought with potential fakery. But the shadows that should be there and aren't is case closed.

Why would you cover an airplane in the desert with a greenhouse clear structure? You ain't protecting it from Sun and you certainly ain't protecting it from rain.

Last edited:
My professional opinion is that the pilot experienced an emergency while taxiing and what we're seeing is a quarantine of the aircraft. More than likely involving some Dreamland Taco Bell, in which after it exited the pilot's rectum, made the aircraft too toxic to approach. The translucent shelter was helo'd in and dropped around the perimeter of the aircraft so that they could tell whether the remnants of the Taco Bell combobulated into a sentient being or simply broke down and dried out in the sun.

Godspeed to the pilot of the aircraft, there's probably a skidmark somewhere going from the aircraft out into the desert.

A VERY interesting satellite picture was taken of a mysterious aircraft at the scoot and hide hangar at the south end of Area 51.

So, let the speculation game begin…

I can’t help but notice the simularities in timing between the sighting of the triangle overhead Amarillo in march 2014 and this satellite image and the once again rising tensions between Russia and Ukraine.

First of all, while difficult to judge, the airplane seems about the size of an F16, based on the width of the taxiway of 15 meters. So it’s about fighter sized… NGAD prototype?

And who can tell what the mysterious structure is that surrounds it?

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44057/mysterious-aircraft-spotted-at-area-51-in-unprecedented-satellite-imageView attachment 673394
Draken

analog-f6.gif

Most likely some testing. Draken is quite maneuverable. If I recall correctly, it's one of the few aircraft that could done "Cobra" maneuver.

Here's my quick crappy sketch of the aircraft seen in the image. I couldn't tell if the inlets are above the chines or below, so I just went conservative and assumed they are of the F-22 carat inlet design. Based on the shadows, you can see the wingtips are canted up, but I have no idea if they're flight control surfaces. I also assumed since this is most likely a demonstrator it would have one F-135 with the exhaust design similar to that seen on the FB-23. Take it with a grain of salt. I was just trying to add a little definition to what is seen in the image.

View attachment 673469
Now russians can copy it ?

While it resembles a Draken, on close inspection I don't think the contours match. The image isn't sharp enough to rule it out completely though.

One thing why I don't believe it's a Draken is because I can't think of a single reason what a '70's Draken would do on the USAF most secure and secret location. I would even be surprised if a Draken was photographed at Tonopah today, let alone Groom Lake.

While we can't completely rule out that it's part of a past FME program, it seems unlikely to me; the Americans probably just walked into the Saab factory and asked and got every bit of data they wanted. Hell, they probably could and would have borrowed an airframe to test it against their own aircraft. Sweden is a NATO partner after all. And if that happened, it happened decades ago, not in 2022.

Come to think of it, I reckon the fact that a Draken is operating from Groom Lake is almost as unlikely as a secret prototype being left out in the open.

One more thing I've been thinking about is that the mystery aircraft is in quite an unusual spot. It's not a parking spot but a taxiway, and it blocks the scoot 'n hide shelter on one side. The reason the scoot 'n hide shelter is of the drive through type is so you can get in and out quickly without bothering with tows etc. That strange location of the aircraft might tell us something, but I can't think of anything. Yet...

The one thing I'm still very sure of is that we are looking at an aircraft or aircraft mockup, and not a painted tarpaulin. See my previous posts why.

Last edited:
While it resembles a Draken, on close inspection I don't think the contours match. The image isn't sharp enough to rule it out completely though.

One thing why I don't believe it's a Draken is because I can't think of a single reason what a '70's Draken would do on the USAF most secure and secret location. I would even be surprised if a Draken was photographed at Tonopah today, let alone Groom Lake.

While we can't completely rule out that it's part of a past FME program, it seems unlikely to me; the Americans probably just walked into the Saab factory and asked and got every bit of data they wanted. Hell, they probably could and would have borrowed an airframe to test it against their own aircraft. Sweden is a NATO partner after all. And if that happened, it happened decades ago, not in 2022.

Come to think of it, I reckon the fact that a Draken is operating from Groom Lake is almost as unlikely as a secret prototype being left out in the open.

One more thing I've been thinking about is that the mysterie aircraft is in quite an unusual spot. It's not a parking spot but a taxiway, and it blocks the scoot 'n hide shelter on one side. The reason the scoot 'n hide shelter is of the drive through type is so you can get in and out quickly without bothering with tows etc. That strange location of the aircraft might tell us something, but I can't think of anything. Yet...

The one thing I'm still very sure of is that we are looking at an aircraft or aircraft mockup, and not a painted tarpaulin. See my previous posts why.
You are correct, it is impossible to be a Draken in the more secure sector of Area51, the shape of the wings doesn't match with a Draken a 70's old fighter you see in museum. The general shape is possible to match with a NGAD demonstrator, but it is possible to be something with more exotic capability. Now you all must know there is enormous tensions with Russian, and at a time it is time to show the secret you have to make afraid your ennemy. Remember tension in 2014 Amarillo sighting and Kansas sighting, and now the same in more dangerous. The area 51 workers know very weel how to hide a plane , this time they want the world to see it, it is why there is a translucide shelter, communication that's all.

Maybe a Draken has similar control surface layout to proposed NGAD, so this is the flying prototype. Just like the car manufacturers hide the new model under the old body - a 'mule'............discuss........

Just a thought, would this airframe match at all with that recent careless tarp-less RCS model of a few months back? (Can't seem to find the thread now...)

To those who say the military doesn't play practical jokes

Ye gods.
"An RAF spokesman said it was a "light-hearted moment" and insisted the crew had not endangered the aircraft."

No kiddin'? Who on this friggen' planet actually might have thought that a hand-written note would have endangered the aircraft?

Its odd to me that there are no service vehicles or maintenance around it. I've been around a few aircraft incidents in my time and when something happens there is a mad dash to get the crew out, the aircraft secured, and towed back to a hangar if necessary (i.e. beacon truck, aircraft tug, maintenance truck, etc.). The absence of activity appears as if the aircraft was minimally supported when taxing out, had a problem, and a lonely maintenance worker rolled a mobile shelter over the aircraft not thinking that it was see-through.

To those who say the military doesn't play practical jokes

Ye gods.
"An RAF spokesman said it was a "light-hearted moment" and insisted the crew had not endangered the aircraft."

No kiddin'? Who on this friggen' planet actually might have thought that a hand-written note would have endangered the aircraft?
From Nevada, to the Mach-loop in mid Wales, we truly are not just off-topic, but off the edge of the map........

Plus all the back seaters got fired, as the RAF only has single seat fighters, so who is stupid now.......

The National Test Pilot School (NTPS) at Mojave Air and Space Port has six ex. Danish Air Force Drakens with the livery in the greenish color hinted in the picture. It could be one of these which are on a visit and covered up to protect it from the Sun. I've flown it and it looks very much like a Draken, more than anything else I can think of.

And it could be parked like this to throw people off on the NGAD, a bit of a gag. Not difficult to orchestrate, just invite an NTPS Draken test pilot for a beer and discussion and let it stand there for a few days with this see-through shelter on top. "We pay for the flights to and fro" and we can laugh together about the rumor mill after the meet.

As mentioned previously, contractor-owned Drakens have been used for many years by DOD customers for Aggressor/Adversary roles and for test pilot training, and have certainly visited NTTR. The National Test Pilot School retired their fleet of Drakens in 2015, however. I haven't had a chance to dig any deeper, but at least one Draken, N35350, has a current airworthiness certificate.

This obviously dosen't prove anything related to whatever was seen in the satellite photos, but it certainly isn't implausible that an operational, contractor-owned Draken could be present at a flight test range.

As mentioned previously, contractor-owned Drakens have been used for many years by DOD customers for Aggressor/Adversary roles and for test pilot training, and have certainly visited NTTR. The National Test Pilot School retired their fleet of Drakens in 2015, however. I haven't had a chance to dig any deeper, but at least one Draken, N35350, has a current airworthiness certificate.

This obviously dosen't prove anything related to whatever was seen in the satellite photos, but it certainly isn't implausible that an operational, contractor-owned Draken could be present at a flight test range.
I agree, it’s clear Drakens were active in the NTTR, and maybe still are. But I would be very, very surprised if an ancient Draken, certainly a privately owned one, would be at Groom Lake. It just wouldn’t make sense.

Why would a Draken be staged near a scoot-n-hide shelter?
Do the trailing edges, wing tips, and wing sweep match that of a Draken?
Is there a shadow from a vertical stabilizer?
Is there something next the port side of the aircraft?

It
Most likely some testing. Draken is quite maneuverable. If I recall correctly, it's one of the few aircraft that could done "Cobra" maneuver.

It couldn't.

The "Cobra" is a concious, controllable maneuver and it hasn't inadvertently destroyed dozens of airframes and killed multiple pilots.

The superstall, which is often mistaken for a "Cobra" was a highly troublesome issue. It occured seemingly at random in the Drakens first service decade leading to loads of irrecoverable flatspins and ejections/crashes.

They eventually nailed down what caused it (the peculiarities of the novel double delta at moderate angles of attack, some roll input suddenly caused a violent pitch-up), and after a lot of training with wing fence and spin chute-fitted Sk 35s they "tamed" the issue somewhat, finding out exactly in what circumstances it occured and how it could be recovered from.

Later in the Drakens career they felt they had mastered it, but it was strictly forbidden to "perform" (trigger) the superstall below 10 000 feet if I recall correctly, safety margins and all.

The Cobra can be performed reliably at airshows at 1000ft near a crowd. Quite a different thing.

Last edited:
It

It couldn't.

The "Cobra" is a concious, controllable maneuver and it hasn't inadvertently destroyed dozens of airframes and killed multiple pilots.

The superstall, which is often mistaken for a "Cobra" was a highly troublesome issue. It occured seemingly at random in the Drakens first service decade leading to loads of irrecoverable flatspins and ejections/crashes.

They eventually nailed down what caused it (the peculiarities of the novel double delta at moderate angles of attack, some roll input suddenly caused a violent pitch-up), and after a lot of training with wing fence and spin chute-fitted Sk 35s they "tamed" the issue somewhat, finding out exactly in what circumstances it occured and how it could be recovered from.

Later in the Drakens career they felt they had mastered it, but it was strictly forbidden to "perform" (trigger) the superstall below 10 000 feet if I recall correctly, safety margins and all.

The Cobra can be performed reliably at airshows at 1000ft near a crowd. Quite a different thing.
The Cobra, or Draken Superstall as it's called, was part of conversion training for the Draken, I've flown it. It's something that you knew how to do and get out of in the Draken, the same procedure and reason for it as the deep stall of the F-16. The vortices of a wing sweep get more stable as the sweep increases. The inner delta of the Draken is 80°, the other 60°. Hence the outer delta vortices burst at 18 AoA while the inner burst much later. Result, aero center ahead of CG and fast pitch-up to around 30-60° AoA. For the F-16 it's the wing and strake which has the difference in stall behavior, and for the same reason, difference in leading-edge sweep. There you oscillate between these values and you get out by stick forward to increase the downward throw, like the F-16. You trained with several upright and then a couple of inverted (very cool, your nose goes over the horizon inverted in the oscillation). Inverted is easier to exit as you have more up-elevon authority. Trained jocks used one pitch-up cycle as a dogfight overshoot maneuver, the comment it was non-controllable is not correct. Aces did the one Cobra maneuver at all heights.

Last edited:
Is it possible to stop with this madness story of Draken ? A Draken in the new scoot and hide hangar at Area51 ? for sure why not Santa Claus :p

It

It couldn't.

The Cobra, or Draken Superstall as it's called, was part of conversion training for the Draken, I've flown it. It's something that you knew how to do and get out of in the Draken, the same procedure and reason for it as the deep stall of the F-16. The vortices of a wing sweep get more stable as the sweep increases. The inner delta of the Draken is 80°, the other 60°. Hence the outer delta vortices burst at 18 AoA while the inner burst much later. Result, aero center ahead of CG and fast pitch-up to around 30-60° AoA. For the F-16 it's the wing and strake which has the difference in stall behavior, and for the same reason, difference in leading-edge sweep. There you oscillate between these values and you get out by stick forward to increase the downward throw, like the F-16. You trained with several upright and then a couple of inverted (very cool, your nose goes over the horizon inverted in the oscillation). Inverted is easier to exit as you have more up-elevon authority. Trained jocks used one pitch-up cycle as a dogfight overshoot maneuver, the comment it was non-controllable is not correct. Aces did the one Cobra maneuver at all heights.

I was only relaying the Swedish perspective from the 50's and onwards. The Draken superstall was indeed a deadly thing, until it was tamed.

Is it possible to stop with this madness story of Draken ? A Draken in the new scoot and hide hangar at Area51 ? for sure why not Santa Claus :p

I'm not sure why you consider the Draken possibility "madness". Not everything that is tested at Area 51 is some sort of new, advanced airframe, and "sight sensitive" doesn't necessarily mean "exotic prototype" - It could certainly also mean that you don't want an adversary to know what you are doing or what systems you are working to develop countermeasures for.

For example, it's certainly possible that a contractor owned (or leased) Draken was being evaluated against some sort of sensor system or adversary radar. Being that it's an almost 60 year old aircraft, it may have suffered some sort of mechanical failure on the taxiway near the "scoot and hide" shelter, and the satellite pics were able to capture a temporary structure in the process of being erected around it. This would stay in place for a few days until parts came in from Sweden (part of the sale agreement for some of the Drakens that were on the market a few years ago included a deal with Sweden for spare parts and technical assistance).

Supporting this possibility - No publicly available imagery has ever captured anything new or exotic at Groom Lake. I'm also having a hard time believing that there would be such a lapse in OPSEC that something sensitive would be left in view, in broad daylight, for at least 3 days. If the SOP has always been that uncleared individuals without a valid need-to-know would have to be inside when when sensitive things were in view, I don't see something new and advanced staying outside without it being immediately covered. There has to be some sort of procedure in place to account for this, just like there would be for anything classified.

Even if this was a case of one of the NGAD demonstrators being left outside to "send a message", it still doesn't account for the tent (or soft-sided sprung structure) being erected.

I'd love for this to be a glimpse of something new and exciting. It's been 19 years since Bird of Prey was declassified, and 12 years since the RQ-170 was first spotted at Kandahar, so it's been a while. However, as we have seen repeatedly, sometimes the least intriguing possibility is the correct one.

Wanting something to be true rarely makes it so.

I'm not sure why you consider the Draken possibility "madness". Not everything that is tested at Area 51 is some sort of new, advanced airframe, and "sight sensitive" doesn't necessarily mean "exotic prototype" - It could certainly also mean that you don't want an adversary to know what you are doing or what systems you are working to develop countermeasures for.

For example, it's certainly possible that a contractor owned (or leased) Draken was being evaluated against some sort of sensor system or adversary radar. Being that it's an almost 60 year old aircraft, it may have suffered some sort of mechanical failure on the taxiway near the "scoot and hide" shelter, and the satellite pics were able to capture a temporary structure in the process of being erected around it. This would stay in place for a few days until parts came in from Sweden (part of the sale agreement for some of the Drakens that were on the market a few years ago included a deal with Sweden for spare parts and technical assistance).

Supporting this possibility - No publicly available imagery has ever captured anything new or exotic at Groom Lake. I'm also having a hard time believing that there would be such a lapse in OPSEC that something sensitive would be left in view, in broad daylight, for at least 3 days. If the SOP has always been that uncleared individuals without a valid need-to-know would have to be inside when when sensitive things were in view, I don't see something new and advanced staying outside without it being immediately covered. There has to be some sort of procedure in place to account for this, just like there would be for anything classified.

Even if this was a case of one of the NGAD demonstrators being left outside to "send a message", it still doesn't account for the tent (or soft-sided sprung structure) being erected.

I'd love for this to be a glimpse of something new and exciting. It's been 19 years since Bird of Prey was declassified, and 12 years since the RQ-170 was first spotted at Kandahar, so it's been a while. However, as we have seen repeatedly, sometimes the least intriguing possibility is the correct one.

Wanting something to be true rarely makes it so.
No realy , not on this part of Area 51 , you know we are in trouble time, and this time its not a joke , there is a need to send Russian or Chinese a strong message, the shape of the craft doesn't match a Draken , no singl trail , not same wings not the same size , The South of Area51 is isolated of the rest of the complex , for sure for something else of a Draken.

View attachment 673469
It is me or on the picture there is a round shape part on the front of the wings ?

No realy , not on this part of Area 51 , you know we are in trouble time, and this time its not a joke , there is a need to send Russian or Chinese a strong message, the shape of the craft doesn't match a Draken , no singl trail , not same wings not the same size , The South of Area51 is isolated of the rest of the complex , for sure for something else of a Draken.
Can you please stop this BS about 'strong message"?

"We need to send a strong message to Putin. Should we fly some B-2s over to Europe? Maybe send a carrier fleet into the Baltic or Black Sea?"

"No - lets park a prototype aircraft in a position where it might get photographed by a satellite so an OSINT analyst might discover blurry pics of it and post it on a mildly popular website about cars. That'll really show them we're serious".