Multi-function Seeker head

Demon Lord Razgriz

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Would it be possible to combined the Heatseeking Seeker head of the AIM-9X with a millimeter radar like on the AGM-114L Longbow Hellfire? If so, would it be possible to keep the size down to be able to fit it to the AIM-9?

I'm asking as I'm trying to design a missile for Nationstates that'd be multirole and be able to hit air and ground targets.

Demon Lord Razgriz said:
.......would it be possible to keep the size down to be able to fit it to the AIM-9?

Most likely, this would indeed be possible. In a Sidewinder-size missile though, I'm a bit worried about the size of the dual-seeker head. The Sidewinder is pretty small as missiles go, and a larger seeker head is going to cut into the space left over for the warhead and/or motor. To what extent this is a problem depends, of course, on the degree of miniaturization of the seeker(-s), the type of (mainly ground-) targets you have in mind for the missile, as well as the desired range and speed.

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Luxembourg

Lauge said:
Demon Lord Razgriz said:
.......would it be possible to keep the size down to be able to fit it to the AIM-9?

Most likely, this would indeed be possible. In a Sidewinder-size missile though, I'm a bit worried about the size of the dual-seeker head. The Sidewinder is pretty small as missiles go, and a larger seeker head is going to cut into the space left over for the warhead and/or motor. To what extent this is a problem depends, of course, on the degree of miniaturization of the seeker(-s), the type of (mainly ground-) targets you have in mind for the missile, as well as the desired range and speed.

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Luxembourg

The main ground target would be tanks and the like. And if possible, keep the range of the AIM-9X, though speed would likely be lost due to greater mass of the missile.