Modular Space Station Evolving from Gemini (1962)

Great Find, Barrington !

can this be NASA version of USAF Manned Orbital Development System (MODS)?

I'm astonished that already in 1962 came up with MOL like Spacestation and MORL like ferry
or meant this there were later "reused" for that ?

another big surprise is that on graphics is written parawing control system !

Michel Van said:
another big surprise is that on graphics is written parawing control system !

...This was 1962, before El Kabong I helped prove that the parawing design just was too complicated to fit in what little space Gemini could spare, much less deploy properly.

...Speaking of parasails:

LOTV_EAFB_1967.jpg

LOTV EAFB 1967 - "Snowball-1" Dodge Truck, towing Rogallo Parasail parachute down EAFB Runway (Photo Credit: NASA S-67-18526).

Let me try...

A rogallo wing is a triangular, rigid (metallic armature ?) steerable chute. By contrast, a parasail in all flexible and clothing thing.

Am I right or totally wrong ? :eek:

Archibald said:
A rogallo wing is a triangular, rigid (metallic armature ?) steerable chute. By contrast, a parasail in all flexible and clothing thing.

Essentially correct. Rogallo wings have also been made with *inflatable* structural elements, but the end result is *essentially* a rigid structure (shaped like a chicken foot) with a flexible membrane.
Rogallo wing:
Kerry%20Hanglider%20Small.jpg

Inflatable Rogallo wing:
reglider.jpg

A parasail is sort of a mutant parachute, capable of providing some measure of L/D.
Parasail:
parasail-optimized.gif

A parafoil is a rectangular chute with an airfoil section.
Parafoil:
200px-X-38_Ship_-2_Landing_on_Lakebed_EC99-45080-101-EDIT1.jpg

OM said:
...Speaking of parasails:

Note that this is also a "Rogallo Wing." While it seems to be utterly lacking the rigid elements, the result is roughly the same: two conical, flexible wings. Just much less aerodynamic wings due to being "wavy".

Thank you very much.

Rogallo wings have also been made with *inflatable* structural elements

I suppose the Gemini paraglider was of the inflatable type; I can't see how they could have deployed a "metallic" structure in flight... ???

Archibald said:
I suppose the Gemini paraglider was of the inflatable type; I can't see how they could have deployed a "metallic" structure in flight... ???

...The impression I'd gotten way back when I first started looking at the history of Gemini and the original plans for landing at Edwards and/or White Sands, was that the rigid struts were going to deploy out of that tiny space between the hatches. I suspect that one got, er, squashed pretty early on in the R&D phase.

Wasn't there a single launch torus station with Gemini capsules? I think Scott posted it at up ship but I lost that print in a plumbing disaster

They asked me it was the one from memory..and the intent was that I'd get back to them. You had a page on it correct? Or maybe I dreamed it...

Wasn't there a single launch torus station with Gemini capsules? I think Scott posted it at up ship but I lost that print in a plumbing disaster
Is this it? (Space Station Operations Analysis using Gemini-Titan II-Agena) https://cdm16608.contentdm.oclc.org...l1/id/31892/page/0/inline/p16608coll1_31892_0
No that’s not it.

This was a torus shaped HLLV that launched off the ground in one piece..each lump in the torus had its own capsule…you remember, Scott?