• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Modernized F-20 Tigershark

Delta Force

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
In the 1980s the Northrop F-20 Tigershark was a very high performance aircraft, superior to the F-16 in some areas. Many of the technologies and components it helped pioneer are used on modern light fighters such as the Saab JAS 39 Gripen. What kind of performance and capabilities could the Tigershark achieve with the General Electric F414 engine, modern avionics, and other advances made since the 1980s? Would it be competitive with the other light fighters?

F-14D

I really did change my personal text
Reaction score
Delta Force said:
In the 1980s the Northrop F-20 Tigershark was a very high performance aircraft, superior to the F-16 in some areas. Many of the technologies and components it helped pioneer are used on modern light fighters such as the Saab JAS 39 Gripen. What kind of performance and capabilities could the Tigershark achieve with the General Electric F414 engine, modern avionics, and other advances made since the 1980s? Would it be competitive with the other light fighters?
It would be the Gripen E.

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
I think I've said this before, but this upgraded F-20 could have been the answer to the Indian Air Force's LCA! Cheaper and without doubt already have been put into operational service!

Regards
Pioneer

F-14D

Reaction score
Pioneer said:
I think I've said this before, but this upgraded F-20 could have been the answer to the Indian Air Force's LCA! Cheaper and without doubt already have been put into operational service!

Regards
Pioneer
You're right, but then they would have bought the Gripen, either C/D or E. In reality, though, they really wanted to build their own to gain expertise. The Tejas doesn't make sense, for what they are paying, for any other reason.

Delta Force

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
How much was the original Tigershark being offered at compared to the F-16? If a modernized Tigershark came in below the other offerings might it have become the A-4 or F-5 of the 21st century? With modern avionics the only difference between a Tigershark and a larger aircraft would be in aircraft performance and ground attack capabilities (due to low ground clearance).

F-14D

Reaction score
Delta Force said:
How much was the original Tigershark being offered at compared to the F-16? If a modernized Tigershark came in below the other offerings might it have become the A-4 or F-5 of the 21st century? With modern avionics the only difference between a Tigershark and a larger aircraft would be in aircraft performance and ground attack capabilities (due to low ground clearance).
Originally, Northrop hoped to offer it for half the price. That wasn't realistic especially in light of the blocked Taiwan order. More realistically, it would have been 2/3-75% of the price to buy, especially once "USAF got involved, but its operating costs would have been much, much less. In addition to flexibility and capability (e.g F-20 would have been AIM-120 capable for those nations we'd let have the missile), Northrop was selling on lower operating costs, much less maintenance, lower requirement for spares and greater reliability.

Costs really weren't the reason the F-20 wasn't a success.

Attachments