Reddington777
ACCESS: Top Secret
- Joined
- 23 March 2025
- Messages
- 889
- Reaction score
- 3,017
Reading the F/A-XX thread recently and the subject of fleet air wing mix came up. The navy wants the fleet air wing to be 60% unmanned aircraft for 2030. Existing fleet carriers are crammed as is and should primarily be for large sized UCAVs and manned fighters. Small to medium sized CCAs could be carried by something else - like a small escort carrier. With the advent of unmanned ships like the MUSV, and cargo ships with automated navigation systems, it's not too hard to imagine what a WWII escort carrier sized ship could be today. An escort carrier can operate alongside fleet carriers or perhaps in convoys alongside frigates.
So going off that train of thought, I tried to come up with a modern take on an independence class escort carrier.
Ship wise, I did some tinkering in delftship with a basic container ship hull and got to a 15k ton container ship hull with a deck slapped on top. The hanger space is enough to probably handle 15 - 20 CCAs with an aft deck section for small drones and/or helicopters. Almost all the current CCAs today are actually smaller than WWII fighters though a little heavier. So I opted for a singular steam catapult (no thanks to Donald) to toss them. There can be two elevators - one on the rear aft and one in the center just behind the catapult. I have no idea whether there's enough space or not to actually recover them, but that may just require a larger cargo ship hull - maybe up to 20k tons displacement. As it stands, the deck length measures a meager 430 ft.
Armaments and sensors wise, I'm not sure what can be added. I think any sensors and defense systems added ought to be derived from self contained, off the shelf sensor systems. I put a small array on top of the island. Besides that, just two CIWS systems.
Another possibility is that the ship could also carry and refuel UUVs. Recently the navy refueld a UUV from a destroyer and the same idea could be applied here. Who builds it? No idea. Probably Hanwha because no one else can build cheap and on time. Ideally, someone could build the hulls and then the deck and island can get tacked on separately. The goal is to be as bare bones as possible.
Comparison to the Ford class carrier:
So going off that train of thought, I tried to come up with a modern take on an independence class escort carrier.
Ship wise, I did some tinkering in delftship with a basic container ship hull and got to a 15k ton container ship hull with a deck slapped on top. The hanger space is enough to probably handle 15 - 20 CCAs with an aft deck section for small drones and/or helicopters. Almost all the current CCAs today are actually smaller than WWII fighters though a little heavier. So I opted for a singular steam catapult (no thanks to Donald) to toss them. There can be two elevators - one on the rear aft and one in the center just behind the catapult. I have no idea whether there's enough space or not to actually recover them, but that may just require a larger cargo ship hull - maybe up to 20k tons displacement. As it stands, the deck length measures a meager 430 ft.
Armaments and sensors wise, I'm not sure what can be added. I think any sensors and defense systems added ought to be derived from self contained, off the shelf sensor systems. I put a small array on top of the island. Besides that, just two CIWS systems.
Another possibility is that the ship could also carry and refuel UUVs. Recently the navy refueld a UUV from a destroyer and the same idea could be applied here. Who builds it? No idea. Probably Hanwha because no one else can build cheap and on time. Ideally, someone could build the hulls and then the deck and island can get tacked on separately. The goal is to be as bare bones as possible.
Comparison to the Ford class carrier:
Last edited: