Mitra VTOL Aircraft of 1940 ?

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

From Aviation Week 30/5/1955,I found this strange VTOL aircraft,designed by Mr. Mitra,a chief commercial
engineer of HAL,I don't know if it was a "game" as they mentioned,or just a metaphor,if it was not,we can
delete or transfer it to Speculative section.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.png
    2.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 34
...,I don't know if it was a "game" as they mentioned,or just a metaphor...

The expression "early in the game" is a sports-based idiom. The writer is not referring to a 'game'. He is simply stating that Mitra was investigating VTOL concepts earlier than most.

Dr V.M. Ghatage was HALs' first chief designer (Ghatage having studied under Prof. Ludwig Prandtl at Göttingen). So, I wonder what is meant here by "chief commercial engineer"? A degree as a Commerical Engineer is some way from being an aeronautical engineer

Dr V.M. Ghatage was HALs' first chief designer (Ghatage having studied under Prof. Ludwig Prandtl at Göttingen). So, I wonder what is meant here by "chief commercial engineer"? A degree as a Commerical Engineer is some way from being an aeronautical engineer

Could mean anything, from the commercial aviation side, to production engineering, to sales. And none would rule out being a qualified aerospace engineer.