Military Shipbuilding & Yard Capacities

Oh it gets better. Here is Electric Boat superimposed over the new Chinese submarine building halls. To scale::

View attachment 692016

Based on that it looks like they could have at LEAST 12 SSNs/SSBNs under construction concurrently. Those buildings are nearly 1000' long. This isn't just a "build a few a year" setup. This is an ASSEMBLY LINE.

Last edited:
Very cool. The PLAN Submarine Force might have 30 to 40 688i equivalent boats by by the mid-'30's at that rate. That's assuming the PLAN has finally decided on a SSN to serially produce, instead of just building nuclear testbeds, of course. All that remains to be conquered is the somewhat daunting task that the PLAN Submarine Force is immensely lazy wrt maintenance.

That said it's probably for the Type 096s. The PLAN building a dozen of them to match the USN silo for silo with JL-3s is more sensible.

Last edited:
The shipbuilding values comparison between China and the US is obscene, slaughter rule levels.

Kat Tsun - I wonder if China has held off on submarine construction until it reached a design it was comfortable with. Something akin to their aircraft industry, half-hearted production until they achieve some desirable capability.

One gets a whiff of desperation here.
But who's desperate? NG, the USN, or both?
Why_Not_Both.png

I appreciate the PLAN shipbuilding discussion, but it should be split into its own discussion so that this thread can remain (somewhat) focused on USN efforts to up-arm their surface combatants.

I appreciate the PLAN shipbuilding discussion, but it should be split into its own discussion so that this thread can remain (somewhat) focused on USN efforts to up-arm their surface combatants.
Or NATO efforts maybe.

I see that the designs are shifting towards open-ocean designs, rather striking designs.