Mig23 and Mig27 for the RAF

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Looking again at the various Soviet vstol and stovl Mig and Sukhoi prototypes and then the in service Mig 23 and Su17 I was struck by how similar they were to British paper projects of the same period.
British versions of the Mig and Su would not have looked very different. The Su looks very like the Lightning VG. The Mig like the Vickers then BAC tactical fighter designs minus the lift jets.
The F4 thread got me thinking that perhaps the Russians were closer to our design thinking ad neither they nor us put anything like the F4 into service

It's certainly true that the Soviets did evolve the Su-17, and for the Lightning to be a success it would have had to undergo such a evolution.

And one can see the Su-19 as a earlier F155 type. Notable for how light at empty it was.
Whenever I ponder an ideal RN and RAF fighter, this is the machine that makes me think it is possible to get reasonable solution.
Succeeded in part by the Mig-25.

The Tu-28 is almost a Red Barrel.

While the Delta winged prototype alternative Mig23 looks more like a Starfighter. Though the lift jet gets it close to some western V/STOL designs.

As for the Mig-23, this is the product of quite some sound design and requirements engineering.
The Mirage G, and the earlier Type 584/585 do seem to parallel it.

Not sure what is meant above by “closer to our design thinking”.
Is it swing-wings and/or other design aspects/ focus?

Supermarine had their 580 series packed with british MiG-23 look alikes. VG designs aplenty.
The MiG-23 however was a flying piece of junk and death trap which manoeuvered like a flying Torrey canyon.

All I meant was that like us, the Soviets did not make an F4 lookalike.