• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

MiG: Flying Through Time

flateric

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
New two-volume 1100+ pages edition prepared for MiG anniversary by in-house historians Yevgeniy Arsenyev, Nikolai Valuev and Yuri Polushkin. Limited time pre-order price. Goes to print in April.
Books are heavy (6+ kg) so be prepared for $$$ S&H.
https://store.alexv.ru/

(No, they will never be translated. Don't ask.)

Attachments

Last edited:

hesham

Reaction score
Very Good News my dear Flateric.

Sundog

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
We'll just have to wait for you (Flateric) to tell us what's in them that's interesting. There's no way I'm spending that kind of money on something that will never be translated.

Last edited:

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems to cover built stuff in great detail, but there's no projects listed in the contents so far.

elmayerle

Reaction score
We'll just have to wist for you (Flateric) to tell us what's in them that's interesting. There's no way I'm spending that kind of money on something that will never be translated.
I'm going to have to take the same approach. If there is enough there that's new and interesting, I will likely spring for these volumes, but only in that case.

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
More details:

Layout looks a little self-published, to be honest, but the content is still interesting.

hesham

Reaction score
It seemed to be there is a Projects in it,from pictures

T-50

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Awesome I'll hope it will be soon for sale in the West!

Empire

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Would be nice if there is I 42/44 information! Possibly on a operational configuration. It was a big Mig project in the 90's.

RAP

Top Contributor
Reaction score
I broke down and bought a set and they arrived today. To me they are well worth the money. There is great coverage of design stages the of the various aircraft with lots of beautiful design bureau drawings. Most of these would look great framed. A few examples of some of the wonderful stuff I had not seen before- early MiG-25 design, general layout is similar but it had canards and a single tail and also a nice side view color cutaway showing radar and avionics. MiG-23K, a navalized version of the -23 which I was not familiar with. Nice 3-view drawing of early MiG-31 design with side-by-side seating. There does appear to be some info on unbuilt designs but they don't get the attention of built aircraft (maybe that will be vol.3 ;) ). It goes on and on. I've spent all evening just flipping back and forth vol. 2, I've yet to open vol. 1. I've attached a few pictures if OK, if not please remove.
Publishing was delayed by the Covid crisis but the publisher was very good communicating about the status of the books and responding to emails. The books were very well packed. I have no complaints. I would love to see a similar publication on Sukhoi. Don't know why we can't get similar treatment on western aircraft. Thank you Flateric for pointing this treasure out.

Attachments

Last edited:

greenmartian2017

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
RAP, could you exhibit/describe materials from this book relating to the Spiral program (or any other aerospace plane project)? Thanks in advance.

lancer21

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Oh wow, just by the few excerpts it looks like something any MiG fanatic should have. Anything interesting about things like Ye-8 and MFI that you can share RAP?
What is that triplane project in the first screenshot? I see it comes at about 75 GBP, does anyone know what kind of carriage charge would be for UK? Many thanks.

RAP

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Ye-8- approx. 6 pages, 8 photos including a color side view cutaway. MFI - 8 pages, 18 photos (not all of aircraft but also designers and pilot). No drawings or diagrams for this design unfortunately. Sorry I don't have any translations to provide.
Regarding the 2 aircraft in the screenshot, the gold one is identified as Experimental Super Maneuverable Aircraft 1-45. The blue/gray camo is Fighter Design 602 from late 1990's.
Vol. 1 is 467 pages, Vol. 2 is 641 pages. They are big, heavy, beautiful books. If you follow the link in the first post the publisher can probably give you the shipping costs.

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shipping cost to New Zealand was more than the cost of the books. I just couldn't afford it.