MIG fifth generation light fighter

T-50

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi everyone Im courious what the current status is of the so called LMFI or light multirole fighter of the MIG design buro.
I know the Mikoyan designing buro is working on two new aircraft types,one project is a new type interceptor to replace the MIG-31
this type is certainly ordered by the Russian airforce.
But they are also rumours that they also planned a second project named the LMFI an light weight multirole combat aircraft to succeed
the MIG-35 4++ generation fighter.
Ill hope somebody can inform of this project will be serously developed or not

Hi T-50,

as I remember,the MiG company worked on a fifth gerneration medium or light weight
front advanced fighter called SFI during 2000s,but no more details are known or they
still develop it or not in present days.

T-50 said:
Hi everyone Im courious what the current status is of the so called LMFI or light multirole fighter of the MIG design buro.
I know the Mikoyan designing buro is working on two new aircraft types,one project is a new type interceptor to replace the MIG-31
But they are also rumours that they also planned a second project named the LMFI an light weight multirole combat aircraft to succeed

According to the current issue of Air International, MiG are self financing the LMFI themselves and without a launch customer, further information from the box out in the MiG-29 article states that the fighter will be a twin-engined canard delta using two Klimov engines and they are also planning a single engined design too possibly using the same engine as the Su-57.

I'd say both the next light fighter from MiG and their MiG-41 project are paper planes, with some preliminary design and engineering done, possibly some scaled mock up wind tunnel tests. But it's as much as one can do with own money, and a limited budget. Actual development won't start until there is a customer for either of the projects, a customer that will hand over serious money (billions+ for a development of existing designs, 10 billion+ for a clean sheet design).

FighterJock said:
T-50 said:

According to the current issue of Air International, MiG are self financing the LMFI themselves and without a launch customer, further information from the box out in the MiG-29 article states that the fighter will be a twin-engined canard delta using two Klimov engines and they are also planning a single engined design too possibly using the same engine as the Su-57.

Sounds like a mini-J-20. I wonder if they'll look at collaborating with China.

MiG already has plenty of experience with such layout from 1.44 project. This sounds like scaled down variant of 1.44, tailored for next variant of rd-33 engines, so perhaps up to 100 kn thrust per engine?

While possible that AVIC had MiG's help for J20, it is also possible that roles may be reversed to an extent, and MiG collaborating with Chinese on that plane.

It would also mean it's the same weight class as Shenyang aircraft corporation's FC31 demonstrator plane. Russians better hurry then for export market, as SAC already has much of the plane developed.

They should just buy a handful of J20's and then build their own unlicensed version.

FighterJock said:

Mirage 2K was also a self financed project. Mach 4 is not something that would need cross-development at an unrealistic level of financement for Mig. IMOHO historically they have the expertise. It might even be a dusted-off project !

Hi thanks for this info dear people Ill hope that this private venture of MIG will some day become a real aircraft I've seen an artist impression of this aircraft.Its indeed depicting a small delta canard winged aircraft. A baby version of the illfaited MIG-144 prototype for the MIG-142 program.
I read just a half our ago that the status of the other program dubbed PAK-DP (MIG-41) by the Russians (keypubleshing site) is more seriously
to go to materializing into a real aircraft type.
This new interceptor must be capable to fly at mach 4,faster than the Lockheed SR-71 blackbird!! and its serviceseiling is almost into space

If it is developed seriously doubt it would be a canard fighter. More likely resemble a smaller and much lighter single engined version of the Pakfa. Tailed delta with levcon, smaller radar, same engine and systems. Maybe even a vstol variant ? Mig 1.44 and canard LFI all old outdated projects.

What your expertise is based on? Aerospace engineering education? Deep knowledge of design school and tendencies inside MiG?

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2430909.html

With respect, the backgrounds of posters are unknown and yet opinions abound. Clarity will only come when it is known where every poster bases their opinions from be it experience in the industry or years following a particular education topic. When I asked where an opinion was souirced, it was suggested I was calling someone out. Not exactly a situation of a level playing field is it?

This drawing is from Air and Cosmos article by Piotr Butowski. He's got credibility based on his previous work on MiG aircraft - his drawings of the 1.44 were by far the nearest to the real thing several years before it was publicly revealed, and clearly based on 'insider' knowledge. Most likely he was shown a drawing or photo and reconstructed it from memory (I know another journalist who got either a sneak peek or verbal description of 1.44 at Farnborough 1992).

Attachments

• 3914794_original.png
    3914794_original.png
    206.6 KB · Views: 497
Drawing has some intentional mistakes and somewhat simplified, but generally fits current LMFS configuration.