Meta Galactica (ill-fated large language model project)

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Via Slashdot:

On November 15 Meta unveiled a new large language model called Galactica, designed to assist scientists. But instead of landing with the big bang Meta hoped for, Galactica has died with a whimper after three days of intense criticism. Yesterday the company took down the public demo that it had encouraged everyone to try out.

Meta’s misstep—and its hubris—show once again that Big Tech has a blind spot about the severe limitations of large language models. There is a large body of research that highlights the flaws of this technology, including its tendencies to reproduce prejudice and assert falsehoods as facts.

Galactica is a large language model for science, trained on 48 million examples of scientific articles, websites, textbooks, lecture notes, and encyclopedias. Meta promoted its model as a shortcut for researchers and students. In the company’s words, Galactica “can summarize academic papers, solve math problems, generate Wiki articles, write scientific code, annotate molecules and proteins, and more.”

But the shiny veneer wore through fast. Like all language models, Galactica is a mindless bot that cannot tell fact from fiction. Within hours, scientists were sharing its biased and incorrect results on social media.

[snip]

Basically you can feed a deep learning A.I with 10 billion papers so that it can sustain a seemingly normal chat with a human.... except that if a percentage of them are outrageously racist, murderous, populist and all other examples of human petiness - the A.I lacks a moral compass / moral code to grasp what is shocking and what is not shocking to us, humans.

Bottom line: feed an A.I with some millions papers written by nazi "scientists" and talking about the supposed ugliness or inferiority of jews - then the dumbarse A.I will digest all the crap, and summarize it in a casual conversation very faithfully - the same racist, genocidal crap.

I can only imagine the horror - let's talk about human biology, all humans are basically identical whatever the color of their skin or their religion - well except those jews with yellow eyes, huge noses, witch like hands, you know the ones we should burn at the stake because their food regime consist of human baby blood...

God help us...