Me323 and its legacy

OliverSedlacek

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Somewhat to my surprise I've only just learned of the existence of the Messeschmitt Me323 Gigant cargo aircraft. I know transport and cargo doesn't get the PR of the fighters or bombers, but it does seem like an impressive design that's almost forgotten. None surviving is a handicap and obviously it was a bit ahead of some of the technology needed, but a lot of it seems pretty right.
Me322 on Wikipedia

Hi Oliver,

None surviving is a handicap and obviously it was a bit ahead of some of the technology needed, but a lot of it seems pretty right.

The Luftwaffenmuseum at Berlin Gatow has a surviving main spar from a Me 323, and it's quite impressive, at least if you muster the imagination to picture the missing 99% of the airframe around it ;-)

I believe in the 1990s, two more main spars were discovered when a post-ww2 warehouse was torn down ... they had been re-used as rafters to support the roof. If I remember correctcly, some photographs appeared in Jet+Prop.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

My impression is, that Youtube is full of it....
I find it pretty remarcable how cheaply it was built (steel frame, fabric covering, surplus French engines, fixed landing gear) and nevertheless proved to be an efficient design.

My impression is, that Youtube is full of it....
I find it pretty remarcable how cheaply it was built (steel frame, fabric covering, surplus French engines, fixed landing gear) and nevertheless proved to be an efficient design.
Re Youtube, I must be living in a different filter bubble....

Hi Oliver,

None surviving is a handicap and obviously it was a bit ahead of some of the technology needed, but a lot of it seems pretty right.
Me322 on Wikipedia

Coincedentally, I just stumpled upon Reel A2059 available here, with hundreds of pages of information on the Curtiss C-76 Caravan:

While the Caravan at around 28,000 lbs gross weight was a lot smaller than the Me 323, the general idea of having an aircraft that was cheaply produced, consisted of non-strategic materials, and did not need to achieve high performance, was very similar. The C-76 was actually set up for mass-production, but in contrast to Messerschmitt, Curtiss really got it all "pretty wrong", and the prototypes and pre-series aircraft were quite disappointing, leading to the type being cancelled quite quickly.

From the documents on the reel, the C-76 seems to have been overweight, statically and dynamically unstable with an inacceptable centre-of-gravity-range, and structurally dangerously weak, in addition to suffering from control issues in elevator and aileron.

A larger counterpart, but at 50,000 lbs still not anywhere near as big as the Me 323, was requested from Fairchild (who had a lot of experience in wood construction). Fairchild had a look at the specifications and asked to be allowed to build a metal aircraft instead. In the light of the C-76 experience, I'd say that probably was a good call.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)