Johnbr

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Do's any no info on it.

Attachments

• Me 163 ejection.jpg
    Me 163 ejection.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 267
Seen this before (often quoted as a Luftwaffe aircraft !) and it still is quite a
mystery, as it seem to show the result of a powered flight of a Me 163 in Britsh
hands, with the pilot wisely abandoning the aircraft. From what I've found, the
only powered flight with a Me 163 after the war was made by Eric Brown, but
AFAIK without such an incident. During the war such scenes weren't that rare,
but then the aircraft had no roundels painted on their wings ... ::)

It's not during testing, because me 163 prototype was paint Red

i not sure because the picture is so blurry
are that roundels on the wings ? (the Allies repaint capture Aircraft before use)
If yes there three suspects: the British Royal Air Force or French Armée de l'Air
Or this a Mitsubishi J8M from Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service

Michel Van said:
i not sure because the picture is so blurry
are that roundels on the wings ?

Can those roundels be "red stars"?
Soviets forces captured several (around 20) specimens of the Me-163 and the Me-262 at Oranienburg, Templehoff and Dalgow.
But no report of powered flight are mentioned in the book of arl-Fredrik Geust "Under the Red Star- Luftwaffe aircraft in the Soviet Air Force".

Are be simply the white parts of the German black cross?

Retrofit said:
Are be simply the white parts of the German black cross?

Looking closely at the pictures, and squinting a bit with my head on one side, I guess those might in fact be "Balkenkreuz" in white. Thoughts, anyone?

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Luxembourg

The Soviets not Paint Red star on Me 163 Wings, only the Tail got a Red Stars

how i say: the picture is blurry.
we need one with higher resolution

Michel Van said:
how i say: the picture is blurry.
we need one with higher resolution

I agree, but actually I still don't believe in "Balkenkreuze", because on the upperside, the
Me 163, as most other German aircraft carried a dark "splinter camouflage" with only four
relatively thin white brackets, as a kind of "low viz" markings. There seems to be too much
white there, but those grainy photos can play tricks on us.
Think I've seen the same sequence in Mano Zieglers book "Raketenjäger", maybe quality is
better there, will have a look this evening.

EDIT: Google is your friend and the answer may be here http://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/me163/kelb.htm:

"...
One last note: I received several e-mails about the 'roundels' visible on the wing. This suggests the sequence shows a captured aircraft, crashing during an evaluation flight. Indeed the wing markings look like white circles, but they are composed of the corners of the iron cross. The photos in the Ransom/Cammann book show this slightly better. Also, no powered test flight were performed after the war, making it impossible that this is a captured aircraft. ..."

Although there are discrepencies, too, as other sources state, that Eric Brown actually made a powered flight (unofficially !) ....

British and french markings samples

Attachments

• Escanear0001.jpg
    Escanear0001.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 181
  • Escanear0002.jpg
    Escanear0002.jpg
    613.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Escanear0005.jpg
    Escanear0005.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Escanear0006.jpg