McDonnell XP-67 Moonbat - Authors: Richardson/Mason - Publisher: Osprey

To be released in about 11 months and it's out of stock. I'm outraged!
Since Amazon lists the publisher as Osprey Publishing, I'm guessing that Osprey Publishing has yet to finalize the cover for the book and the inside content, and that this book could be part of the X-Planes series.

My wife and I wrote the book, and its publication date is 24 November, so just 2 more months to wait!
It's curious to read biographies of all the book' authors, presented on Amazon page.
Seems, that they are qualified quite enough to trace and represent the story of such unusual aircraft.
Hope, that book would exceeds readers' expectaions.

Just 45 days to go! To answer one question, there are multiple side view color profiles that trace the evolution of the configuration from rollout to burnout (so to speak) as well as a color 3 view and numerous photos of details. These are based on McDonnell drawings and photographs, and are much more definitive than the contemporary Wylam/Karlstrom/etc drawings of that era, whose creators don't seem to have understood the various configuration changes that were made, starting even before the first flight and continuing in stages until the last flight. Being a modeler (solid, not 3D) myself, I tried to include photos of things like wheel wells and construction processes. The book took several years to research and most of what's in it has never been published before. We also deal with some myths that have gotten attached to the aircraft, starting with the "Moonbat" nickname that it never had (but that Osprey insisted be included in the book's title so that keyword searchers would be more likely to find it.) And we spend some time talking about why the Continental engine was chosen in the first place, with some little-known (to us, anyway) information about how critical the Army's entire engine situation was in 1940.
It's interesting that XP-67's rollout and final resting place were within half a mile of each other. On a frigidly cold day last year, just after we'd submitted our final manuscript to Osprey, we got permission to go inside the airport perimeter and were able to actually stand on both spots. There's no trace of the runways or buildings that were there then, but it was still an amazing way to cap off our project. We sure hope everyone enjoys reading the book as we enjoyed writing it!

1665326941334.png

the "Moonbat" nickname that it never had (but that Osprey insisted be included in the book's title so that keyword searchers would be more likely to find it.)
With their business model being dependent on selling the books they spend the money to publish that is understandable.

I have discussed adding emo teen vampires to my books with my publisher.

Glad I have already pre-ordered the book. One question, was there ever consideration of a jet-propelled version with turbojets replacing the Lycoming engines?

Glad I have already pre-ordered the book. One question, was there ever consideration of a jet-propelled version with turbojets replacing the Lycoming engines?
I've seen a McDonnell proposal to add a turbojet in each nacelle to augment, not replace, the original powerplant.

Yes, the book has McDonnell's nacelle concept drawings for two different mixed-propulsion options. In fact McDonnell was shopping that concept around before the Continental (not Lycoming) powered XP-67 prototype had even been finished. It was clear by then that that engine wasn't going into production, so MAC was proposing to replace it with a different piston engine in the front of the nacelles and a jet in the back. The Army's response - well, it was interesting to say the least. You can read all about it next month... :)

I only remember it being referred to as the Bat until the last 20 years or so, when suddenly Moonbat came out of the woodwork. I'm inclined to think that it would have been an excellent aircraft if it had been fitted with proven engines.

I only remember it being referred to as the Bat until the last 20 years or so, when suddenly Moonbat came out of the woodwork. I'm inclined to think that it would have been an excellent aircraft if it had been fitted with proven engines.
The engine issues have been vastly exaggerated over the years, particularly allegations that they were prone to catch fire. Those rumors were floating around all during the flight testing phase, and Engineering Division's Chief of Staff finally felt obliged to step in and set the record straight. I think that his information, as much as anything else in the whole book, is going to surprise a lot of people.

Seems to be out now?
Book Depository tells me my copy has shipped. We'll see how long it takes to arrive here.
"Ask and it shall be given unto you" - my copy arrived today. A quick look-through tells me I have some excellent reading ahead.

Late night Addendum: I've started reading through it and it is indeed excellent reading, packed with good information.

Last edited:
My wife and I wrote the book, and its publication date is 24 November, ...
How is the book set for diagrams? Something I've never seen is a good, clear, accurate and official general arrangement of the aircraft.
Sorry to be so long in answering, but things have been busy. The book has a color 3-view of XP-67 in a late configuration by Adam Tooby, based on all of the drawings and photos that we were able to provide him. That included section cuts through the nacelles, for example, from MAC blueprint 2-50000 "Powerplant Installation" that we got from the son of one of the propulsion leads on the program. and as far as I know they've never been published before. And so on. The artist used all of the material we sent him to create a 3D model, and since most of the information was previously unavailable, I think this 3-view is the most definitive one that's been made so far. There are a couple of irritating little things, the omission of the pitot probe from the left wingtip and the transposition of a tiny little scoop for generator cooling air on the left nacelle that should be on the inboard side rather than the outboard side there, despite numerous trans-Atlantic iterations on these drawings with Tooby through our Osprey editor as intermediary. Other than that, though, it should be spot-on for the moment in time that it represents, late summer 1944, near the end of its short life.

Have the book. Great reading.Excellent color.Many drawings
but some of them, a bit to small.
Perhaps due to the dimensions of the book...
We were very surprised at how small they turned out, too. Some of the blueprints were 5 feet long, or more, and we knew those were going to suffer by reduction to fit a book this size. But some of the photos that we had stacked vertically in our draft, to make them wider on the printed page, were changed to side-by-side layout for the book by Osprey. We had to balance 3 conflicting limits: Total number of pages, number of illustrations, and number of words. This was the best we could do within those hard bounds. Even at the current size, though, there's plenty to inform modelers and historians - we hope!

Have the book. Great reading.Excellent color.Many drawings
but some of them, a bit to small.
Perhaps due to the dimensions of the book...
We were very surprised at how small they turned out, too. Some of the blueprints were 5 feet long, or more, and we knew those were going to suffer by reduction to fit a book this size. But some of the photos that we had stacked vertically in our draft, to make them wider on the printed page, were changed to side-by-side layout for the book by Osprey. We had to balance 3 conflicting limits: Total number of pages, number of illustrations, and number of words. This was the best we could do within those hard bounds. Even at the current size, though, there's plenty to inform modelers and historians - we hope!
Steve, it's an amazing, little book. I love it!

I noted an anomaly regarding the color drawings and paintings of the hypothetical production versions. On page 12 the aircraft shown is identified as a photo-recon bird, while the one on page 14 is identified as a fighter. But for the action paintings of the same two aircraft on pages 54 and 66, the roles have been reversed! Which pair of captions is correct?

Sir ! Id like to connect with you in reference to the Moonbat ! I was wondering where any/some of the artwork in the book of the different versions of the P-67 could be found ? My Dad worked for McDonnell AC from 1947 till 1987 and so I can claim being a true MAC-Brat ! I hope you see this and might reply to my email ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir ! Id like to connect with you in reference to the Moonbat ! I was wondering where any/some of the artwork in the book of the different versions of the P-67 could be found ? My Dad worked for McDonnell AC from 1947 till 1987 and so I can claim being a true MAC-Brat ! I hope you see this and might reply to my email ?
I sent you a reply - wish I could be more help, but the publisher holds the copyright on those illustrations and the artist, although he has a license from the publisher to sell copies, hasn't responded to our own attempts to get prints. Best bet is probably to contact him through his website, adamtooby.com

I noted an anomaly regarding the color drawings and paintings of the hypothetical production versions. On page 12 the aircraft shown is identified as a photo-recon bird, while the one on page 14 is identified as a fighter. But for the action paintings of the same two aircraft on pages 54 and 66, the roles have been reversed! Which pair of captions is correct?
That's embarrassing! The color battle scenes are correct, the markings seem to have been inadvertently applied to the wrong variants by the artist on the side view profiles, and we just didn't catch the mistake during the extensive back-and-forth review process with the publisher. We were never in contact with the artist himself since his contract was directly with the publisher, so all of our comments and his questions went through that 3rd-party filter and we obviously goofed. Thanks for pointing it out!

Last edited:
I just got hold of a copy, and it's exceeding my expectations. My only lament is that expressed by others--the photos and especially the diagrams and blueprints are quite small. I do understand that this problem is the inevitable result of publishing with Osprey in their standard format, and balanced against the size limitations are the good price, good design, good editing, good reproduction and (notwithstanding your issues with the illustrator) generally high-quality art. I have no knowledge of their payment track record, but would hope they don't come up short there, either! Anyhow, congratulations on a very enjoyable and informative book.

Back
Top Bottom