McDonnell-Douglas Model 226 "Quiet Attack Aircraft" : Early Naval Stealth study

b-lrcs-png.691356

6-jpg.536139

To be clear I posted a 3 view of Quiet Bird above. The photo is very rough but obviously has separate vertical and horizontal tails and is larger and longer.

To be clear I posted a 3 view of Quiet Bird above. The photo is very rough but obviously has separate vertical and horizontal tails and is larger and longer.

There is some family history with Quiet Bird.
When I have more information on the Boeing design I will create a new topic.

There's an interesting book to be written on "The Prehistory of Stealth".

Not the title I have in mind but the book is in progress.

Also, the public narrative of stealth in the 1970s has been pretty far from the truth. The Ryan work in particular, building on earlier work was pivotal to moving forward with XST.

Anyway, now we have McDD, Boeing , and NA working on the Navy studies in the early 70s. There was a Lockheed program as well but I have not found much on it yet.

I was disappointed by the Peter Westwick Stealth book just being about Lockheed and Northrop. A book to remedy that would be very interesting and I think sellable with the right title. There's the Rockwell stuff as well.

Yes the figures are interesting. Head on and tail on are okay at high frequencies, but the overall levels achieved are pretty unimpressive. This seems to align with the Navy's "Reduced RCS with ECM" view on Stealth that persisted even to the A-12 era.