Lufthansa Ju 88 and Ju 290

Orionfield

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I was recently reading "Lufthansa, An Airline and its Aircraft" by R.E.G. Davies, and he mentions that in 1944 Lufthansa operated commercial conversions of the Ju 88. I have scoured the internet to try and find a photo or drawing of these converted Ju 88's to no luck. It sounds like an interesting subject for a future drawing of mine.

On a side note, I am also having issues finding photos of Lufthansa's four Ju 290's, if someone could help me out there too, that would be very helpful as well.

FWIW, according to the flugzeugforum.de forum, 3 Ju-88 S-3 were flown by Lufthansa in 1944/45: D-ASHJ "Panther", D-ASHK "Wolf" and D-ASHM "Jaguar".
They add that no photo exists.

Probably any such photos if they still exist are in some Russian archive somewhere.

They must have flown to destinations outside of Germany, Switzerland perhaps. I wonder if there are photos's at the destination end. Just where they flew to is the Miss Terry.

Hmm. Not sure it was such a good idea to take photos within Swiss airfields in 1944/45, unless one enjoys the attentions of Sicherheitspolizei ...

Swiss, Swedish and Portugese borders were far more "porous" than as told in official histories. A variety of countries maintained various official and unofficial offices, consulates, etc. in neutral countries. For example, Britain leased hotels in Southern Switzerland to house Commonwealth soldiers who escaped from Italy. Brits also "turned" a few escaped P.O.W.s to spy on - still fascist Northern Italy and assist Italian partisans.
Even more amusing is that while Sweden was officially neutral, she sold specialized steel to both Germany and Britain. During summer, Swedish steel was exported on bulk carriers from Southern Swedish sea ports. During winter the same steel sailed from Narvik on the Norwegian coast. Meanwhile, British Overseas Airways routinely flew ball-bearing out deHavilland Mosquitos painted in civilian colours. BOAC Mosquitos also carried the occasional spy or diplomat in their bomb-bays.

Swiss, Swedish and Portugese borders were far more "porous" than as told in official histories. (...)
Even more amusing is that while Sweden was officially neutral, (...)
Doesn't all this precisely add to the reasons why the Sicherheitspolizei wouldn't want blokes snooping around with cameras?