Looking for SSBN-598 USS George Washington Class Info

Aeroengineer1

Engineering, not just a job, but a lifestyle :)
Reaction score
I am looking for reliable information for the George Washington class of submarines. I know that the sub used the hull of the Skipjack class with a missile compartment that was 33' in diameter (compared with the 31.5' diameter of the Skipjack class). I also know that the missile section was aligned to the bottom of the ship as opposed to the centerline of the ship and that this mismatch was handled under the missile deck. I have what is most likely a decent cross section of the missile compartment and missile deck (which I have included), but what I need are some reliable views of the other things that changed such as the stern planes, rudder, sail, and side view of the missile deck.

I have also included a hand drawn sketch that I found that basically gives the information that there were no more ballast tanks added to the boat.

Some views out of a piping tab would be great. I know that one sold recently on ebay, so I know that they are floating out there. If anyone has some information on this, it would be much appreciated. I have a 1/72nd scale boat that I would like to convert to a GW class boat.

Adam

Attachments

• comp_04.gif
    comp_04.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 522
  • PipeTab_Type11.jpg
    PipeTab_Type11.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 508
  • 2d758cd7-7fae-4938-b029-62adc2957d8d.jpg
    2d758cd7-7fae-4938-b029-62adc2957d8d.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 508
And for those that are of then engineering mind and like going over vibe reports, here is a pretty great one. It gives some pretty great information on the internals of the boat.

Well in my continued effort to find out information on this boat, I have come across a few interesting facts.

The first is that the hull of the Skipjack seems to be based upon the Model 4170 shape that was tested in the David Taylor Model Test Basin. The main difference is that it was scaled to a L/d of 8 vs the tested 7. Attached is a comparison of the 4170 hull form to one of a few drawings that I have found around. I personally know that this one that I am comparing it to had references from a Skipjack Piping Tab, so it is a good test candidate.

The next fact that I have come across is that Skipjack class hulls were "divided" just in front of the reactor compartment, and that the major forward hull diameter change happens right under the sail. This is born out in a picture that I have of the GW boat without the deck casing. I have also included a few pic that show internal layouts, though it is known that these pics are more of a reference only and do not actually describe the true shape of the boat.

Attachments

• Skipjack Comparison.jpg
    Skipjack Comparison.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Skipjack-2.jpg
    Skipjack-2.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 161
  • GW.jpg
    GW.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 417
  • Uss_theodore_roosevelt.jpg
    Uss_theodore_roosevelt.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 435
I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, Adam, but the usual source for reliable submarine photographs is: http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/06idx.htm, which shows many exterior and interior photos of the George Washington-class SSBNs. Some further information is given in Norman Friedman's U.S. Submarines since 1945, page 199.

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I have indeed been pulling many of my photos from there. What I am specifically looking for are the views that are out of the Piping TAB for the 598 class boats. Here is an example of the Piping TAB for the 611 boat (wrong class of boat for what I am looking for-be advised, it is 190MB).

SSBN-611 Piping TAB

Pages 11-21 are the types of things that I am looking for modeling of this boat. With the pic of the periscope system that I posted in the first post, this indicates that some of these TABs are out there. I am more particularly interested in the external drawings of the boat.

Amazing schematics in this thread. Looking forward to seeing the model.

I cannot help with the request but I have my own which is somewhat connected. I am looking for decent side profiles of the by her crew), a Benjamin Franklin-class and/or Sturgeon‑class. Reason being illustrating with DDS.

Covert Shores,

Here is a link that has some piping tab views of SSBN657 which is in the same class as the 640. They are about half way down.

http://www.ssbn657.com/Key%20Papers.htm

Anyone knows what these large vertical strakes on launch tubes covers are?

Attachments

• 0859845b (1).jpg
    0859845b (1).jpg
    643 KB · Views: 56
  • 0859843 (1).jpg
    0859843 (1).jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 0859844 (1).jpg
    0859844 (1).jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 57