Looking for detailed, highres cutaways or pictures of soviet jets R-15B-300 and RD-36-51

msxyz

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
The first in the powerplant of the famous Mig 25, the second was used in the improved Tu-144D

For such popular aircrafts there are surprisingly little to no cutaways or other drawings showing the internal arrangement for these two engines. The few I´ve found are poststamp sized and of poor quality.

Regarding the Kolesov RD-36-51 I would also like to know if there are publicy available graphs about their thrust at different speeds and altitudes and a chart for the various settings of the nozzle plug relative to the envelope of flight.

Both engines are nowadays museum material so there must be maintenance manuals or something like that floating around, right? I found one for the Mig-25 but unfortunately it doesn't include good drawings of the engine

Thanks,
Marco

Attachments

• RD-36-51.jpg
    RD-36-51.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 67
  • RD-36-51A--.jpg
    RD-36-51A--.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 65
  • RD-36-51A DFT.jpg
    RD-36-51A DFT.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 85
Again, thanks.

In one of the drawings it's possible to appreciate the amount of travel inwards of the nozzle plug. Judging by the geometry, retracting the plug has the effect of creating a tighter choke, thereby increasing the speed of the exhaust gases, while extending it increases the nozzle area. So, during the supersonic cruise, the cone would be fully retracted?

Also, what is the machinery on top of the RD-36-51 intake ? http://www.missiles.ru/_foto/Saturn-muzey-2010/_MG_2030.JPG. A starter engine? Quite an odd placement considering it needs a long shaft all the way back to the middle section where the bevel gears are located.